Pro 3.2.2 Will Not Do a 1:M Join

2 weeks ago
Labels (3)
AKRRMapGuy
New Contributor III

I am currently trying to create a model that will run as a geoprocessing service on ArcGIS Server 11.2. 

I cannot get ArcGIS Pro to do a 1:M join between a Feature Class and a table in a FGDB. It definitely should be a 1:M situation, but it insists on trying to do 1:1 and therefor records are lost. ArcMap does the 1:m join just fine with the same FGDB. I have also tried using them as model variables rather than directly referencing the Feature Classes. That had no effect on the issue. All the data is in the same FGDB.

The Join Features tool does the join correctly, but the tool is incompatible with ArcGIS Server: 00151: Tool <value> is unsupported on server—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

I cannot get ArcGIS Pro to do a 1:M join between a Feature Class and a table in a FGDB. It definitely should be a 1:M situation, but it insists on trying to do 1:1 and therefor records are lost. ArcMap does the 1:m join just fine with the same FGDB.

1. What tool are you using to create the join? Add Join?
  2. My understanding is that all joins in ArcMap are one-to-first (1:1). I don't understand how it could be possible that ArcMap is doing a 1:M join.
  3. Does the join work as expected when done outside of a model in the attribute table?
0 Kudos
AKRRMapGuy
New Contributor III

1. Correct, however Join Features and Join Field provides an expected result.

2. ArcMap has been capable of 1:M joins for my entire career in GIS. That's where I learned how to do them.

3. No it does not. When it misbehaves it misbehaves everywhere.

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Add Join (Data Management)

Bud_1-1714847199906.png

The second table uses a join table with no Object ID field; only a one-to-first join is possible. A one-to-first join is also only possible if each table is from a different workspace. A one-to-first join is not a case sensitive match.

Records from the join table can be matched to more than one record if the join table has an Object ID field; otherwise, a one-to-first join will be performed.

0 Kudos
AKRRMapGuy
New Contributor III

Both tables have Object IDs.

0 Kudos
AKRRMapGuy
New Contributor III

Pro 3.3 added the option to give the user the ability to choose. I updated during this whole process.

After working with tech support it turns out that my issue had nothing to do with the Join in the model. Upstream from the join in my model I have an 'export table' tool. We identified a bug with that tool that involves issues with changing field names in the configuration, when used in Model Builder. It was likely making the 'Add Join' tool go nuts.

0 Kudos