Line Density by Line Count

03-24-2023 11:00 AM
KateDoughty1
New Contributor III

I have numerous lines that I want to create density rasters for, by number of lines, not line length within radius.

I am using Line Density but I must be missing something - my line count is 15,000 but the raster output has a max of over 500,000. Any help or advice is appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

What's your search radius?  Do you have a population field?  The Line Density tool probably doesn't work the way you think it does by counting the lines intersecting each search radius - it takes the length into account also https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/spatial-analyst/how-line-density-works.htm

What do you (exactly) need to achieve?  You may be better using some aggregation methods using vector only.

0 Kudos
KateDoughty1
New Contributor III

Yes, I was reading that it does incorporate length - I've tried numerous search radiuses.

I have 17,000 operations and I want to graphically depict the density of operations/day, similar to the clip below:

KateDoughty1_0-1679682085408.png

0 Kudos
KateDoughty1
New Contributor III

I think I found a solution here.

For the extent of my polyline shapefile, I generated a grid using Generate Tessellation. For my purposes, I settled on a grid size of 0.5 acres.

I added an integer field to my Polyline FC, and attributed each record with 1.

To attribute my grid with number of lines intersecting each polygon, I used Summarize Within using my new 0.5 ac grid as Input Polygons, and my polylines as Input Summary Features. For Summary Values, I chose my newly created field where every record = 1, and for Statistic I chose Sum.

Hope this helps someone else!

0 Kudos