Italics Text Tag in Labels Not Applying

Jump to solution
03-11-2024 08:46 AM
Labels (3)
EdDonovan
New Contributor II

Using ArcGIS Pro 3.2.2, GIS Professional Standard, Administrator. 

A client requested base flood elevation and ground elevation along FEMA floodplain cross sections. To better differentiate the values, we want to italicize one number and leave the other un-italicized, so "Base Flood Elevation, Ground Elevation". However, I can't seem to get the italics text formatting tag to work.

The current label class is set to Arcade and reads: "<ITA>" + $feature['NFHL_CrossSections.WSEL_REG'] + "</ITA>" + ", " + round($feature['NFHL_CrossSections_AddSpatialJoin.Z'], 1)

In testing similar tags there were no issues; bold and underline worked just fine. I also tried other common italics syntax with no luck (<em> or <i>). There are also no ampersands (&) in any of the features or data. 

Am I missing something? Is this the wrong text tag? Will it not work if an "Add Spatial Join" is present? 

Of course, we could make these labels as individual text boxes or duplicate the cross section feature, but both seem like less efficient options. 

Appreciate any help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One thing to test is does the TTF support italicized fonts.  For example, The Agency font does not support italicized fonts - only regular and bold but Arial does.  As a result, the Arcade ITA will not work if using the Agency font.  I'd recommend testing your label expression with a font that support italicized font type/components.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One thing to test is does the TTF support italicized fonts.  For example, The Agency font does not support italicized fonts - only regular and bold but Arial does.  As a result, the Arcade ITA will not work if using the Agency font.  I'd recommend testing your label expression with a font that support italicized font type/components.

0 Kudos
EdDonovan
New Contributor II

Nailed it! I knew it had to be operator error. Thanks!