Creating an elevation profile using a GPX file

a month ago
Labels (1)
CidMko12
New Contributor

Hello, I'm running into a bit of an issue with creating an elevation profile.

I need to create an elevation profile for a race route. I have data from a runner that posted it on Strava that I was able to export as a GPX file. The file itself when put into ArcPro is a point file that has points taken every couple meters. As such, each point has the elevation and distance at each time the point was taken, from the start to the finish of the race.

The problem is that the elevation profile tool only uses the DEM data that ArcPro has natively. The race goes under numerous overpasses/bridges in the city, and the DEM ArcPro is using will detect the height of the overpasses/bridges, which I cannot use as I am trying to map the course itself. The GPX file has the right elevations for the course, but I cannot find a way to use those instead. 

I was able to create an elevation profile by changing the point file to a line file an using the profile tool, however, I would much prefer to use the accurate elevation data in the GPX point file.

Is this possible? Please let me know. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SeaRM
by
New Contributor III

Do you need to get just two-dimensional profile line with distances on X-axe and elevation values on Y-axe?

What if you just create your line in Excel? Distances if needed can be calculated using Cartesian distance formula and gotten XY coordinates of the GPX points.

0 Kudos