Cannot Trace .kmz or converted .kmz-to-Layer, using the create features trace tool with a new feature.

Jump to solution
03-17-2023 10:44 AM
WetlandMan
New Contributor III

Hi all. I am trying to trace a .kmz file of a projects impervious surface, I received so that I can edit it's geometry, add fields, and the like. I have tried importing the KMZ into Arcpro as a .kmz file, a ,kml file, and have also even tried saving it as a layer (also exported the layer file into a feature). 

I am attempting to use the trace tool (with a freshly created feature in a FGDB) to create an identical feature that I can then manipulate. The KMZ and resulting Layer generate internal lines (see photo) which I am able to snap too, however the "boundary" of the feature is not able to be traced. Looking for some help/guidance as it is a complex shape that would take hours to manually digitize.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WetlandMan
New Contributor III

I ended up just doing the same manuever in arcGIS desktop as it appears as though there is better compatibility with arcgis than arcpro for KMZ conversion and tracing. From now on I'll just use arcgis for kmz.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
temprobertcottreau131313
Occasional Contributor II

rather than tracing, could you just copy the features that you want from your imported version?

- export the KMZ to get an ArcPro layer

- highlight the feature you want in the layer

- right click the layer and Data > Export Features to create a new layer from the selected feature(s)

0 Kudos
WetlandMan
New Contributor III

I ended up just doing the same manuever in arcGIS desktop as it appears as though there is better compatibility with arcgis than arcpro for KMZ conversion and tracing. From now on I'll just use arcgis for kmz.

0 Kudos