ArcGIS Pro Crash - Suspected Windows Update

Jump to solution
01-12-2018 06:35 AM
EdDempsey
New Contributor III

This morning I awoke to several users saying that ArcGIS Pro will not open.   It crashes immediately at the "Initializing..." point of the splash screen.   Windows update ran on all 3 machines last night, see those updates below.

I have confirmed on a machine that did not receive these updates that ArcGIS Pro is still running correctly, so I would assume that rules out any issues with our License Manager. 

Has anyone else experienced this today?   

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Can you roll back the updates to see which one is causing the issue?

You may want to open a new Support case and work with an analyst to determine the issue. There have been some issues with a MS update: Meltdown and Spectre Processor Vulnerabilities | ArcGIS Blog 

--- George T.

View solution in original post

24 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

My updates list from today caused no issue but I am using Windows 10 and some on your list don't appear on mine

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Can you roll back the updates to see which one is causing the issue?

You may want to open a new Support case and work with an analyst to determine the issue. There have been some issues with a MS update: Meltdown and Spectre Processor Vulnerabilities | ArcGIS Blog 

--- George T.
EdDempsey
New Contributor III

Thanks for the tip, George.  I rolled back KB4055002 and now it's running again.   May drop a line to support if this is a true conflict.

George_Thompson

Hi Ed - That KB you listed above is not in the screenshot?

Update: I do see that KB4055002 seems to include the KB's listed above, correct?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4055002/description-of-the-security-and-quality-rollup-for-... 

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4055002/description-of-the-security-and-quality-rollup-for-...  if that is the number... which is why my install wasn't affected

0 Kudos
EdDempsey
New Contributor III

My screenshot above was from:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\View update history

Yet when I went to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Program and Features\Installed Updates, there were two updates installed yesterday under .NET Framework 4.7.1.  One was KB4055002, the other KB4054852.   I tried KB4055002 first and it worked.

George_Thompson

Roger that, thanks!

--- George T.
0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ed, thanks for reporting this issue. I've reproduced this issue in house on a Windows 2008 r2 machine.

Steps are:

1. install .net 4.7.1

2. Install KB KB4055002

If earlier versions of .net are installed, KB4055002 doesn't impact PRO.

I've reported this issue to Esri Development.

RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

While I'm unsure at this point, I think this issue may be related to the MS notice regarding the .net 4.7.1 security rollup.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2018/01/09/net-framework-january-2018-security-and-quality-r...

"Please avoid installing this update on Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. See .NET Framework January 2018 Rollup Known Issue KB4074906 – “TypeInitializationException” or “FileFor.... More information will be provided here when a fix is made available."

Will follow up.