Altitude of selected polygons

Jump to solution
02-02-2023 07:07 PM
Labels (3)
Mikhail
Occasional Contributor

I have a set of polygons and need to measure the average altitude for each of them. So far I only managed to find a map of upland areas, and this allowed me to separate upland polygons from lowland ones. I would prefer, however, a continuous measure of altitude. Could you recommend a map that could be used for this purpose or a way to extract this data from a standard topographic map? Thank you.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

The thing with this tool is that you do not need to provide a source for elevation values, the tools uses an online service to get elevation values. That being said, you need to be online for it to work. I guess you might also need to have paid for maintenance for you ArcGIS Pro license to be able to access the elevations service that the tool uses. Here is the documentation for the tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.8: Summarize Elevation (Ready To Use)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation. I cannot see why it should not work. Do you get any kind of error message when the tool fails? Anyway, I would recommend you to update to a newer version of Pro if possible.

A second way of achieving this is to download data from Terrain layer in Living Atlas and then use Add Surface Information. Below an image of how you can export a raster from the terrain layer once you have it opened in Pro and right-clicked it in the contents layer.

AndreasHall_0-1675922347260.png

If this does not either work, I would recommend you to download data from Ordnance Survey and then use the Add Surface Information tool. I am not familiar with their products but this one seems to be free of charge: OS Terrain 50 | Data Products | Ordnance Survey

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

Hi, have you seen this post? It is very similar to your question and already has a solution.
Solved: Re: How do I assign average raster values to polyg... - Esri Community

0 Kudos
Mikhail
Occasional Contributor

That's great, thank you! The only problem is that I can't find a topographic map with an attribute table. Could you recommend a map (I am only interested in the UK) or a source for maps of this kind?

0 Kudos
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

I did some research on my own. It turns out you can use Summarize Elevation (Ready To Use)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation and that you do not need to have any elevation data of your own to perform the analysis. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Mikhail
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, this must be exactly what I was looking for. But this tool fails for no apparent reason. Have you tried running it?

0 Kudos
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

Yes, it ran without problems for me. I´m using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3.

Mikhail
Occasional Contributor

I use an older version 2.8.0. I wonder if my difficulties are due to a poor choice of a topographic map. Could you advise which map you extract elevations from?

0 Kudos
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

The thing with this tool is that you do not need to provide a source for elevation values, the tools uses an online service to get elevation values. That being said, you need to be online for it to work. I guess you might also need to have paid for maintenance for you ArcGIS Pro license to be able to access the elevations service that the tool uses. Here is the documentation for the tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.8: Summarize Elevation (Ready To Use)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation. I cannot see why it should not work. Do you get any kind of error message when the tool fails? Anyway, I would recommend you to update to a newer version of Pro if possible.

A second way of achieving this is to download data from Terrain layer in Living Atlas and then use Add Surface Information. Below an image of how you can export a raster from the terrain layer once you have it opened in Pro and right-clicked it in the contents layer.

AndreasHall_0-1675922347260.png

If this does not either work, I would recommend you to download data from Ordnance Survey and then use the Add Surface Information tool. I am not familiar with their products but this one seems to be free of charge: OS Terrain 50 | Data Products | Ordnance Survey

Mikhail
Occasional Contributor

Dear Andreas, I upgraded to the new version and it worked! Another problem was that I had worked with too many polygons, but when I dissolved them into larger units I got the results I was looking for. Thank you very much for your support.

Kind regards,

Mikhail

0 Kudos