Geoprocessing Tab Back-Button UX Improvement

03-21-2024 04:33 PM
Labels (1)
Andrew_Lintz_DRGA
New Contributor II

THE PROBLEM: The Back Button Switches Catalog Pane's Tab, instead of stepping out of a specific Geoprocess to Geoprocessing Favorites | Toolboxes | Portal | Search page. 

CASE STUDY DEMO: Several times a day I utilize the Geoprocessing tab in the catalog pane for various Geoprocesses, and multiple times a day I face an inefficiency that can be greatly improved. For example, let's say I need to Enable COGO on a feature class.  I select the Geoprocessing tab from the catalog pane and I find that the previous geoprocess is displayed.  If I previously imported a symbology to the feature class I see "Apply Symbology from Layer" geoprocess. In Order to get to switch to Enable Cogo, in the pane I only have the back button near the top left to navigate.  When I click that back button, ArcGIS Pro returns me to the symbology tab!  I now have to select the Geoprocessing Tab AGAIN to then reach the Favorites | Toolboxes | Portal | Search page.  This breaks workflow, focus, and train of thought, wastes time, effort, & mental energy.  Sometimes it's to the symbology tab, sometimes it kicks me to the catalog tab. NEVER do I want to switch the tab, I ALWAYS want to navigate to my favorites & toolbox when I click that back button.  There is no other means of navigation other than Ribbon... but this is about that back button which NEVER delivers the desired UX. 

SOLUTION: Make the back button navigate to the "Favorites | Toolboxes | Portal | Search" page.

This not a bug, this is a UX improvement idea! 

Thank you kindly for reading this far, and any consideration to my idea. I hope this improves everyone's day. 

1 Comment
Bud
by

Single-click navigation from GP tool to GP pane

I agree. I think there should be a dedicated single-click button beside the back button for navigating from the GP tool to the GP pane. Something that is more obvious and more easily accessible.