Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcPro Symbology Pane Improvements: Better Color Sampler, Toggleable Legend Items, Improved Symbol Layer Drawing, Copy-Paste Symbologies

11-30-2022 01:04 PM
Labels (1)
lzk222
by
New Contributor III

The symbology pane is poorly designed in ArcPro. The ESRI development team should look to imitate QGIS symbology UI and functionality.

1) Color sampler. The ESRI color sampler is extremely limited, it only works on map features. QGIS allows for color sampling anywhere on the screen (layer pane, images open on desktop, even web browsers).sample_color.gif

2) Toggleable legend items. This is the default setting in QGIS and it’s wonderful. As far as I can tell it’s not possible to do this in ArcPro and certainly not AGOL.toggle_legend_items.gif

3) Hierarchies. Unique value hierarchies often do not work as expected in ArcPro and the symbol layer drawing is very buggy. Not sure what to say other than this just needs to be reworked.symbology_hierarchy_issues.gif

4) Copy-Paste (using hotkeys!) symbologies from one layer to another. Right now ESRI has designed a very tedious and inefficient system for “importing” layer symbologies from one layer to another. In QGIS it’s as simple as Ctr+Alt+S (copy symbology) Ctrl+Alt+V (paste symbology).copy_paste_symbology.gif

5) Also, why is there no delete option for added values? It seems like only way to do this is to "remove all".

Screenshot 2022-11-30 130854.png

QGIS, for comparison.

Screenshot 2022-11-30 131238.png

These are only a handful of suggestions. Overall, I would suggest the ESRI ArcPro development team take a look at QGIS symbologies and see what enhancements can be made.

5 Comments
AmeliaBradshaw
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Hello @lzk222 , 

Thank you for submitting an Idea to Esri Community! I see your Idea has several separate requests. According to our ArcGIS Ideas Submission Guidelines and Statuses , Idea submissions should represent a single Idea, instead of multiple Ideas in a list. I need to check, but I think a few of these requests have been requested by users in the past. If this is the case, I'll refer you to those Ideas so you can give kudos to them. It is best to keep Ideas unique and vote for those you want to see implemented. This helps with our tracking and assessment of Ideas. 

Please let me know if you have further questions. 

Amelia 

wayfaringrob

These are great ideas, though, please do link the individual ideas when you post them!

lzk222
by

I've done the work. How about your team take some of these ideas and improve your product for a change.

ErikBreedon

@lzk222 #3 and #5 are possible, but perhaps not the way you expected. I've never used QGIS.

Hierarchies are called symbol layer drawing. https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/layer-properties/symbol-layer-drawing.htm

Deleting added values is possible by right-clicking and deleting values.

I hope this helps.

AlfredBaldenweck

Number 2 has an idea here as well, leaving just #1 and #4 to be addressed: Toggle visibility for individual Categories on Sym... - Esri Community