Adding Meshes to ArcGIS Pro

10-29-2020 02:58 PM
Labels (1)
ChristophKönig1
New Contributor III

There are a lot of simulation softwares like SMS which use mesh data like *.2dm files and additional result files. For example 2D hydraulic simulations.

While the simulations are made in this specific software a lot of pre- and postprocessing is done in GIS or CAD.

Therefore it would be useful to be able to load, display and analyze and at some point also manipulate mesh data in ArcGIS like it is possible in QGIS.

Look at this:

Overview of QGIS 3.14 Mesh Features - Lutra Consulting 

5 Comments
Andrew--Johnson
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Hi, have you looked at our integrated mesh modification and draping support at the ArcGIS Pro 2.6 release? I believe we already support the requested functionality seen in QGIS.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/mapping/layer-properties/the-integrated-mesh-scene-layer-in-a...

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/mapping/layer-properties/modify-integrated-mesh-layer.htm

Andrew--Johnson_0-1605303497633.png

Andrew--Johnson
Status changed to: Closed

Hi,

I'm closing this idea as I believe it's already offered based on my previous comment. If you see otherwise please comment on this idea and let me know.

thanks,

Andrew

ChristophKönig1

Hello,

I refer to something different. "Mesh" in this case means DTM files from simulation software like *.2dm files from hydraulic modelling software SMS from Aquaveo and its result files like water depth, velocity and so on.

Andrew--Johnson

Thanks @ChristophKönig1 for the clarification. In ArcGIS Pro we will only support creating and consuming integrated mesh scene layers which are part of the OGC open source I3S specification. Another route I could see is converting this data into an integrated mesh scene layer using a 3D Analyst tool such as Import 3D files. If you'd like to see that workflow I can reopen this idea and transfer it to that team or you can create a separate idea. Let me know how you'd like to proceed.

regards,

Andrew

NicolasAlvarado

Hi @Andrew--Johnson ,

Can I take you up on your offer and have you show me the workflow for importing 2dm meshes with 3D Analyst tool?

I am in need of importing a 2dm file to compare that with other layers I have and would like to stay in the ESRI ecosystem.

Thanks,

Nic