ArcGIS Pro 2.2 Patch 3

09-05-2018 03:33 PM

ArcGIS Pro 2.2 Patch 3

The ArcGIS Pro 2.2.3 patch is now available to download from My Esri and via the software update (if enabled).

UPDATE 10-5-2018 11am Pacific: ArcGIS Pro 2.2 Patch 3 (2.2.3) is now available via the software updater. 

UPDATE 10-5-2018 9am Pacific: ArcGIS Pro 2.2 Patch 3 (2.2.3) is available for download from My Esri.  

Patch 3 removes the code released with ArcGIS Pro 2.2.2 and later identified as the cause of the problem described below in the 9-28-18 update.

See Release notes for ArcGIS Pro 2.2—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop for full details.

Patch 3 will be available via the software updater in your ArcGIS Pro application (if enabled) within a few hours.

UPDATE 9-28-18: Esri has discovered a severe issue with an editing workflow in ArcGIS Pro 2.2 Patch 2 (2.2.2) that may incorrectly set feature attribute field values to “Null” and strongly recommends this patch be uninstalled.

What is the Issue?  

Field values may be incorrectly set to Null when using the Attributes pane. This problem occurs when you select multiple features in the tree view of the Attributes pane, use the Tab key to navigate between cells in the data grid, and tab through a cell that displays “(Different values)”. 

How do I uninstall the patch?  

In Windows, search for “View installed updates”, which is in the Control Panel; right-click ArcGIS Pro 2.2 Patch 2 (2.2.2); and click Uninstall.    
If you do not have the previous patch—ArcGIS Pro 2.2 Patch 1 (2.2.1)—it can be downloaded from My Esri.  

When will Esri correct the issue? 

ArcGIS Pro 2.2 Patch 3 (2.2.3) will be available in early October, 2018, and will include a fix for this issue as well as the other software improvements included with patches 1 and 2.  ArcGIS Pro 2.2 Patch 2 (2.2.2) which introduced the issue is no longer available for download.

The ArcGIS Pro 2.2.2 patch is now available to download from My Esri and via the software update (if enabled).

Please apply this patch to get the fixes listed in Release notes for ArcGIS Pro 2.2—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Also, here is additional information about Minor Releases and Patches: Releases and patches—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop

Comments

Ouch!

Chris Donohue, GISP

What is the Issue?   I am still trying to understand it... so I guess it doesn't apply to my work

Surprised this didn't come up in beta testing. Does Esri do usability and beta testing with Pro? I'd hope so.

They do, I was on 2.2 beta, but non-esri people aren't given specific tasks to perform, but to see what arises as an issue in your workflow.

That issue seems to be pretty esoteric but it must have stung someone big time. 

I don't use the tab key either, so I never would have come across anything related to it either 

Just did the uninstall of the patch and it was easy breezy.  Kind of curious though why they didn't come out with an interim patch to fix just this issue because had I not gotten the email I wouldn't have know about this.  A patch would pop up for nearly everyone when they open Pro.

I forwarded the email to our user community: unfortunately, many / most don't have admin rights so now our service desk gets to do it.  Funny thing: I never patched so I'm holding at 2.2.0......

Hi David, glad the rollback to 2.2.1 was easy.  The fix for this will be Patch 3 (the interim patch you mention to fix this issue) but it takes longer to get a patch out the door than to let people know to roll back.  We're targeting the end of this week for a fix.

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.2.0, and I have had the issue of values I calculate reverting to Null on two occasions. It just happened 10 minutes ago when I used the Attribute Pane to update an attribute value. I clicked the SAVE button afterwards and got a pop-up verifiying that I wanted to save my edits.  I saved my edits and then I saved my project and reopened it. The value I had just saved was Null.  I did not use the tab key when in the Attribute pane; I simply clicked in the field and pasted the value I wanted.

Joy, the issue described above is specific to Patch 2.  If you are experiencing an issue with ArcGIS Pro 2.2.0 and need to troubleshoot it to determine a cause, I'd recommend opening a case with technical support.  I want to be careful that this thread doesn't turn into any editing issue being attributed to Patch 2 especially if Patch 2 isn't applied.

Thank you.

I've Just uninstalled the patch as advised and its broken my Oracle Client 32 & 64 bit versions that i have installed.  Has anyone else experienced this?  How did they get round it?  uninstalling/reinstalling Oracle can be a pain.  I don't have a restore point as the feature is disabled by our system administrator.

no mention of anything that was done in 2.2.2 that dealt with Oracle anything.

Wen did you install it? at 2.2.2 or before?

Release notes for ArcGIS Pro 2.2—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

It was installed prior to 2.2.2 and was working fine yesterday. It could be a coincidence, hence me wondering if anyone else suffered anything similar.

Standard Oracle client or Instant Oracle client?

Standard 64bit client and 32bit instant client.

Stuart, we have had no reports of removing the patch affecting Oracle in this way.  If you haven't done so already, it would be good to open a case with technical support to figure out what is happening and post back here once resolved.  Thank you.

Thanks Kory, I've logged a call and will report back.

Kory Kramer‌, just for your record, I got another bug logged through the Dutch branch of ESRI last week that may in fact be related to this one:

BUG-000117100 Definition Query gives different results in ArcPro vs ArcMap when a feature class attribute has an index

I think the above one may be related since it also concerns NULL values in attributes, and additionally the interpretation of empty strings: '',  and I am pretty sure was introduced in Pro 2.2.2 as well, as I didn't encounter the issue in 2.2.1.

For your record also, there is another issue (already in Product Plan if I understood the Dutch branch well) related to empty strings that affects display in Pro dialogs and that got logged a few months ago:

BUG-000107874 : In ArcGIS Pro, definition query omits the symbol ' ' if it is surrounded by brackets. This results in validation error for queries such as Include

This last one causes queries like:

<FIELD A> NOT IN ('')

to be displayed like:

<FIELD A> NOT IN ()

in the Definition Query of the layer properties, and thus cause a validation error once you hit "Validate".

Thanks, Marco.  I looked at these and don't see how they could be related to the issue that was addressed with Patch 3 (tabbing through a "(Different Values)" cell in the data grid, only in the Attributes Pane).  The first bug you note (BUG-000117100) does seem highly related to BUG-000107874, but neither of those seem like they would be related to the issue discussed on this thread.

I got hit by this Null value bug. I wasn't entering much data, fortunately. I thought it was me who was buggy at first. 

Has anyone noticed when navigating a directory when opening a project or adding data that the directories appear to be empty unless you press F5 to refresh them?

I was hoping that was a part of 2.2.2 but since I uninstalled it, this problem hasn't gone away. 

Stuart McKay‌, we are an Oracle shop. I uninstalled the 2.2.2 patch on multiple machines and saw no ill effect.

Andy, thanks for that.  I have since got to the bottom of this, the Patch removal was an unfortunate coincidence.  A new group security policy was rolled out accross our network on the same morning, it stopped any DLL's running outsiode of c:\program files, as i installed Oracle in its own folder on my C drive it was being blocked. 

What packages are being updated in 2.3? 

A number have useful updates now.  Or are updates only on the major releases?

Also what is being  added? or removed? 

Nothing much happenend

2018-10-03 17:02:36  (rev 😎
     arcgispro  {2.2 (esri) -> 2.3 (esri)}
     mkl  {2018.0.3 -> 2018.0.3 (esri)}
     netcdf4  {1.4.1 -> 1.4.1 (esri)}
    +pkg-metadata-0.4.6 (esri)

and the latest metadata update from

https://anaconda.org/Esri/repo 

2018-10-09 23:35:10  (rev 10)
     pkg-metadata  {0.4.6 (esri) -> 0.5.0 (esri)}

Doesn't show anything updated beyond that one

Dan, this thread is about Patch 3 for ArcGIS Pro 2.2.  Not to be confused with ArcGIS Pro 2.3 which will be coming in January 2019.

Here is information about Minor Releases and Patches: Releases and patches—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop

ArcGIS Pro software releases follow the semantic versioning specification. This specification defines software versions according to a major.minor.patch scheme. Major and minor releases introduce new functionality. Patches address known issues but do not deliver new functionality.

Examples of the specification are as follows:

• A change from version 2.x to 3.x is a major release.
  • A change from version x.3 to x.4 is a minor release.
  • A change from version x.x.1 to x.x.2 is a patch.

So 2.2. to 2.3 will be a minor release.  

Minor releases and patches

All changes introduced by minor releases and patches are both backward compatible and forward compatible. Minor releases and patches work seamlessly with existing projects.

Minor releases and patches are cumulative. When you install a minor release or patch, the functionality of any minor releases or patches you may have skipped is incorporated. For example, if you update from version x.x.1 to version x.x.3, the update incorporates the functionality of version x.x.2. It is not necessary to perform an incremental update of version x.x.2 before installing version x.x.3.

For the question about what Python packages are getting updates for ArcGIS Pro 2.3, can that be moved to ArcGIS Pro‌ or Python‌?

ahhh it was the metada update on the GitHub site that was confusing ( 2.2 -> 2.3)

Version history
Last update:
‎09-05-2018 03:33 PM
Updated by:
Contributors