MeetUp: The Use of Arcade With The Parcel Fabric

11-14-2023 01:36 PM
Labels (1)
JasonCamerano
Esri Contributor

Arcade is a secure (contains no executable code in the syntax), portable expression language that ArcGIS knows how to read. The Parcel Fabric makes use of the Arcade expression language.
We ship the parcel fabric with configurable expressions. In this session we’ll review how Arcade is used and how you can use it to modify layer symbology, display expressions, labeling and attribute rules.

Here are links to other posts mentioned and/or used during the presentation:

1. Getting Started with Arcade using examples for Parcels
  2. Introduction to Attribute Rules using examples for parcel fabrics
  3. How to show the Record name in the parcels' popup?
  4. Attribute Rule that copies a parcel to another feature class when it gets deleted
  5. Calculating the next parcel number in a 'Book and Page' using Arcade expression and Attribute Rules
  6. Arcade Home, Profiles, Function Reference, Playground

1 Reply
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

I suspect the example from the Riverside County parcels data probably caused some confusion.  That is because the Book and Page fields actually represent the Recorded Book and Page from our Recorder's office for our Tract or Parcel Map recordings.  They have nothing to do with the Book and Page of the Assessors Parcel Number.  In fact there are no fields in the parcel schema that directly contain just the Assessors Book or Page of the parcel. 

To correctly extract the Book and Page of the Assessors Parcel you should have instead parsed the first 6 digits of the Name field (Book is digits 1-3 and Page is digits 4-6) and done the feature selection based on an SQL expression of:

"NAME LIKE '" + Name6Digits + "%'"

then you could take the max NAME value of the set of returned features and increment that parcel number by 1 to correctly generate the next parcel number in the sequence based on the parcel that the user clicked.

Arcade and ArcGIS Pro are actually especially useful for this data because they allow me to use parsing expressions to generate symbology for this data based on the Assessors Book,  the Assessors Page, or the Assessors Book and Page without any need to create fields that directly contain any of those values.  In ArcMap I would have alter the schema or create a view that generated actual fields for those parsed values to be able to symbolize the data based on them.  Arcade can also convert the original string value of the NAME field to numeric values so I have the option to display the symbology based on the range of numeric values rather than being limited to only using unique value symbology for a set of discrete string values.

0 Kudos