Create a parcel fabric from existing region coverages

2 weeks ago
EddieQuinlan1
New Contributor II

I have parcel data still being maintained in Arc/Info coverages.  Within the coverages are cogo_arcs, polys, points, parcel_poly, lot_poly, block_poly, subdivision_poly, PLSS_poly, right of way_poly.  All the regions are built with the underlying polygon(s) and arcs, and are topologically correct.  Essentially, this data model was the predecessor to parcel fabric.

How do I get all the regions, arcs, polys into a parcel fabric?  Most documentation is based on a parcel poly or arcs being imported and then built into other feature classes.  My data already has the topology which I need to retain in the parcel fabric as parcels, lots, blocks, subdivisions, etc....

I've experimented with importing the parcel region into a test parcel fabric and that went well, but I don't know how to bring the other regions over and maintain the topology/connection in the fabric environment.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
AzatShagiakhmetov2
New Contributor

You can model lots, blocks, subdivisions, etc. as separate parcel types.

Add Parcel Type GP tool adds a new parcel type to parcel fabric. It creates 2 feature classes (first for polylines and second for polygon) and adds them to parcel fabric topology. Then you can import data directly to polyline/polygon feature classes using ArcGIS Pro generic tools, such as Append.

0 Kudos
EddieQuinlan1
New Contributor II

Then you can import data directly to polyline/polygon feature classes using ArcGIS Pro generic tools, such as Append.

I've done the first part of your comment.  I then used "create parcel type" for the next layer "subdivisions".  Here's where it gets confusing.  I used append to import my sub coverage into the subdivision parcel fabric.  Is this the correct procedure?  If so, does the topology between parcels and subdivisions remain intact?

0 Kudos
anna_garrett
Occasional Contributor III

you may have to take all of your coverages and convert them into simple feature classes first to do clean up. that's what I had to do when we migrated to the arcmap version of the parcel fabric. we still had a ton of densified arcs that needed clean up (still do, I did not catch them all). 

going from editing in arc/info to pro might be easier for you though. the core set of pro fabric tools are really reminiscent of arc/info tools. 

0 Kudos
EddieQuinlan1
New Contributor II

Thanx Anna.  Yes i've already imported the coverage into a file.gdb for processing into the parcel fabric.

0 Kudos
anna_garrett

just to try and help answer the question to azat - if it was topologically correct in the coverage, it should remain so. the import process doesn't move anything. 

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

what happens with true curves / COGO information?

0 Kudos
anna_garrett

those should be retained as long as there's fields in the attribute table? distance/direction/radius etc

0 Kudos