Vector symbols resizing in legend

03-23-2023 09:16 AM
EricaCirigliano
New Contributor III

Hi, all,

Please feel free to point me to another post about this. I did search without finding anything, but I have a hard time believing I'm the only one with this problem.

I am using vector symbols in a map, and I have checked "Adjust size automatically" when setting the symbol style properties in Map Viewer. The symbols resize nicely in the map at different scales.

EricaCirigliano_0-1679587966411.png

However, they also resize in the legend as the map zooms in and out, which is not a good UI experience for the user. Bitmap symbols resize poorly in the map but behave the expected way in the legend.

EricaCirigliano_1-1679588056445.png

EricaCirigliano_2-1679588100706.png

Is there a setting in the Legend widget for Experience Builder that would keep the vector symbols at a standard size within the legend?

Thanks for any help!

Tags (3)
5 Replies
Omar_A
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi,

One workaround you could try is to create a separate legend for your vector symbols using an image or graphic, rather than relying on the Legend widget. You could create a legend graphic that shows the vector symbol at a standard size and include this in your map layout.

You also could try converting your vector symbols to bitmap symbols, which should prevent them from resizing in the legend. 

0 Kudos
EricaCirigliano
New Contributor III

Thanks, @Omar_A for your reply. 

I did try an image, but those do not resize well when the overall browser window is resized.

Bitmaps do not resize well on the actual map through zoom levels.

I've never seen a legend where symbols changed size. Surely this is a bug to be fixed and not a feature.

0 Kudos
Omar_A
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Yes, it's possible that the issue with symbol resizing in the legend is a bug!

AvaPatterson
New Contributor III

Looking to find a solution to this as well. Do you have a workaround?

0 Kudos
EricaCirigliano
New Contributor III

Hi, @AvaPatterson ,

My workaround was to move the data into a Dashboard and use color-coded formatting in the List widget as a stand-in for an actual legend. I have not tried using the legend widget within maps that contain vector symbols since I worked on this particular project.

It remains astonishing to me that more people aren't reporting this bug, since AGOL publishers are being steered toward using vector data and since, you know, people zoom in and out of maps that need legends.

Good luck!

Erica

0 Kudos