Symbology all wrong on Web Mapping Application (new behavior)

Jump to solution
06-20-2023 07:57 AM
MattKelso
New Contributor II

In recent weeks, AGOL has stopped honoring the symbology from ArcGIS Pro - an annoying development, but one that I can deal with.  However, I recently configured a web map and now the styling is not being honored on the Web Mapping Application.  It is a template that our organization made using Web AppBuilder for the sake of consistency.  However, I also experimented with using a different Esri-made Web Mapping Application, and I got the same results.  

Unlike the issue with Pro -> Web Map, this Web Map -> Web Mapping Application problem is much more than a nuisance, because there are no more opportunities in the workflow to make changes to the symbology.

All of the polygons are transparent grey and point features are white circles. 

Does anyone have a work-around?  Or better yet, can Esri please undo whatever recent upgrade led to this behavior?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

This isn't a bug and you may have just upgraded to the latest version of Pro that will publish the symbols to retain their vector composition. If you check on the option to use symbols compatible with all apps that will publish symbols that work in Map Viewer Classic and WAB.  

For WAB retirement (MVC has not had its retirement roadmap released yet)

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/web-appbuilder/announcements/arcgis-web-appbuilder-roadmap...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Isn't this the same issue?:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-questions/web-appbuilder-does-not-honour-the-symbology-o...

Seems you may need to update your workflow to newer tools to be able to use the 4.x JSAPI  features.

0 Kudos
MattKelso
New Contributor II

Interesting, so this happened to somebody else seven months ago.  I wonder why it is just affecting me now.

I appreciate the suggestion, and it may be correct that adjusting the workflow to newer tools is necessary.  However, I still want to express that it isn't a wonderful solution (please note that this incoming rant is not directed at you, Marco - I really do appreciate your reply.) 

We spent a good bit of time configuring the Web AppBuilder template to the way we wanted it, recorded several "how to use our maps" videos explaining the tools and the placement on the screen, and some of those that we work with expect maps in a specific format that is difficult to duplicate in Experience Builder, for example.  Obviously, the writing is on the wall for Web AppBuilder and anything else built on the Map Viewer Classic platform, but if the solution is to adjust the workflow to newer tools, then these older ones are effectively dead already, because the output is unusable. 

If Esri intends to fix this bug, that would be useful to know.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

This isn't a bug and you may have just upgraded to the latest version of Pro that will publish the symbols to retain their vector composition. If you check on the option to use symbols compatible with all apps that will publish symbols that work in Map Viewer Classic and WAB.  

For WAB retirement (MVC has not had its retirement roadmap released yet)

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/web-appbuilder/announcements/arcgis-web-appbuilder-roadmap...

0 Kudos
MattKelso
New Contributor II

Thank you, this explains what's going on.  I'll delete my data from AGOL and reupload, being mindful of these settings.

Esri may not consider this a bug, but I certainly do.  If this behavior is intentional, it should:

a) give a warning upon upload that the content will be incompatible with Map Viewer Classic and Web AppBuilder, which, as you say, are still supported.  

b) be fixable within ArcGIS Online

Thank you for your help though!

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

For the warning - I would recommend posting this in the ArcGIS Pro under ideas and I can fwd to the team to review. 

you can fix the content in ArcGIS Online using the classic symbols in Map Viewer or the standard library in Map Viewer Classic. If you want to use custom symbols that are compatible across MVC and MV uploaded images through the symbol gallery will be in that supported format. 

0 Kudos
CGarcia
New Contributor

Hello, I am having the same problem, but I can not find a way to get to the place where I need to select the option "use symbols compatible with all apps"