Style options not available, need to make changes on the fly

Jump to solution
01-31-2023 12:24 PM
piratecheese
New Contributor III

My CEO is my only field collector so my workflow is a bit backwards compared to most. 

Boss asked me to update colors on symbology for irrigation heads. He needed this to happen ASAP, while he was in the field and collecting. He had already collected a few points so my options were limited to telling him to stop collecting, download the map, change the symbols and reupload the group or change the symbology in ArcGIS Online. I ran into issues with online and chose to go the former route and have it good for now. I'll need to come up with a better workflow for this.

1: I figured out how to make changes in Map Viewer(new) but the fill option is still greyed out. Is there another method? I also tried looking in field maps and in the content settings for the group layer.

2: See pic 1 and pic 2. Pic 1 shows me successfully changing a symbol's fill that I uploaded from Pro. Capture.JPG

The second picture is this option greyed out.image (2).png

I've noticed that I can change the fill for symbols chosen in the "arcgis 2d" symbology galley (not from esri AM/FM Sewer and Water fonts which I need). If this is the case, it harshly limits my options and makes emulating someone else's (cad architect) symbology impossible.

I did find a post with a similar issue from 2017 but the "map viewer classic, symbology as image, edit transparency and color in another program" method isn't a solution as doing this process for 10 point features will take longer than re-uploading the layer. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
piratecheese
New Contributor III

Solved

I was using shape markers in symbology in Pro. There's a limited number of Vector markers that you can use in Pro to allow for Map Viewer editing, but font markers like the ones found in "ESRI AM/FM Water" are converted to images when a feature layer is shared online.

There is a workaround:

You can use "web styles" to upload these font markers as vectors. Be careful! this 2020 documentation leaves out the fact that you will need to create a group online with the "shared update" group designation, which can only be selected when creating a new group. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Erika_ess
Esri Contributor

Hello, 

I've tried this on my end. When selecting the layer in ArcGIS Map Viewer, then selecting Styles, and then selecting Style Options under Location (single symbol), I get the same greyed out Fill Color: 

Snag_178fb6f5.png

When selecting Basic Point and then selecting one of the shape options, it gives me the option to edit the Fill Color: 

Snag_1790019a.png

Snag_179031f1.png

Snag_179066cc.png

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

The fill is disabled bc the symbol is a picture marker symbol that could be coming from Map Viewer Classic symbols or a Symbol by URL from a MVC map. If you use a vector symbol like the ones published from Pro to a map or as a web style and used in Map Viewer these will support tinting the symbols if they are picture marker symbol, if its a marker symbol you can do full color swaps.

0 Kudos
piratecheese
New Contributor III

It turns out that I was using marker symbols, but if you do anything other than the default Esri 2d gallery (ESRI AM/FM Water) it converts to a picture symbol when it's shared to online.

0 Kudos
piratecheese
New Contributor III

Solved

I was using shape markers in symbology in Pro. There's a limited number of Vector markers that you can use in Pro to allow for Map Viewer editing, but font markers like the ones found in "ESRI AM/FM Water" are converted to images when a feature layer is shared online.

There is a workaround:

You can use "web styles" to upload these font markers as vectors. Be careful! this 2020 documentation leaves out the fact that you will need to create a group online with the "shared update" group designation, which can only be selected when creating a new group. 

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

When sharing a web map from Pro and you dont want the symbols to be downgraded to picture marker symbols you need to uncheck this option.

RussellRoberts1_0-1675271043427.png

For web styles you don't need to have the group set to shared update. You will want to set what members can contribute to the group and share the group org wide(or publicly if you want others to use your styles outside the org) so that way apps can query the groups when users are logged in and populate the symbol styler. Then after you create a group - share the web style to the group during Pro publishing or you can do Add Item in the group after. 

0 Kudos
piratecheese
New Contributor III

A few things:

I don't typically upload entire maps, I share out groups of feature layers after converting and sorting DWG files, then add those layers to a blank map I start in Pro. That way I don't have to open a new Pro map, copy the feature group and upload it there.

I don't see this option when sharing the web layer (see pic 1). Perhaps it's only when sharing a map? I'll give it a try.

020123Capture.JPG

I'm the only member of my org, and the only member of any group in my org. The web style was shared to all groups in my org. I'm the sole user and admin, so I'm the only one who will contribute to anything.

No web styles will be available in Map Viewer style selector unless you go to online>Organization>settings>map>web styles. No groups will be selectable in this menu unless they have "shared update" enabled"

piratecheese_0-1675272189556.png

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Pro 3.2 will support the share as a web layer and choose the CIM option(this is what we write to the map/layer to allow vector styling and these symbols wont be supported in older clients like Map Viewer Classic or WAB).

The web style only needs to be shared to a single group that would be used as a container for the style. This is following the same pattern as setting a custom basemap group.

The groups do not require this shared update: here is an example of mine and the group settings. 

RussellRoberts1_1-1675273410308.png

RussellRoberts1_0-1675273388864.png

0 Kudos