ArcGis Notebooks and FTP

07-26-2022 03:03 PM
Labels (1)
explocarto
New Contributor III

Hello, I have a scheduled Notebook that hasn't been working since mid-July.

This Notebooks now has a refused connection to an FTP server.

Does anyone encounter the same problem? I did not find any ESRI documention on a change of authentication method to FTP servers

The error message is attached.

p.s. I tried to connect on another ftp server (not secure) and I have the same problem.

Thanks for your help

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RichardButgereit
Occasional Contributor

While trying to port a stand-alone Python script to an ArcGIS Online Notebook, I am noticing the same thing. Through ftplib and wget -- all attempts getting same "Connection refused" error. 

0 Kudos
RichardButgereit
Occasional Contributor

I submitted a case with Esri about using FTP with AGOL Notebooks, and got this back today -- 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Case #03441759
The behavior you've described, where FTP connections appear to be blocked when running a script in ArcGIS Online Notebooks, is likely a result of the security and network access restrictions enforced within the ArcGIS Online environment. ArcGIS Online is hosted in a secure cloud-based platform, and these measures are in place to ensure the security of the platform and its users.

If you're encountering a "ConnectionRefusedError: [Errno 111] Connection refused" error, this is indicative of the FTP connection not being allowed. To work around this limitation, I recommend using an alternative approach: consider utilizing another server where the ArcGIS API for Python can be employed to upload data to ArcGIS Online. Unfortunately, AGOL Notebooks cannot use FTP to download data due to these security restrictions.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah -- FTP connections are blocked with AGOL and AGOL Notebooks.

0 Kudos