ArcGIS Hub- Gallery Card- Increase limit to more than 16 items

01-19-2023 10:08 AM
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Hub Team,

This has been a huge pain-point and limitation for both our organizations. We're looking to showcase more content than the set limit of 16 items. We want the items to populate dynamically (hands off/sustainable, not manually having to add them) but the limit is well, very limiting.

Please allow for any amount of content to be featured in this gallery card. We don't want to have to keep turning to third party products to embed in out ArcGIS Hub, when this concept already exists. 

Amanda__Huber_1-1674151397841.png

Amanda__Huber_0-1674151383347.png

Thank you, 

Amanda Huber

5 Comments
ThomasHervey1
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Thanks for your feedback @Amanda__Huber ,
The Hub team is actively working on an alternative in the form of a new search view that will display a gallery (with thumbnails) of dynamic results. This is a layout enhancement to the current search view found at <siteURL>/search. Using the Category card, site managers will be able to link to the new search view and apply a category, tag, or group filter. Stay tuned to the Esri blog for a release within the next few months. Ideally this will alleviate the concern around the item limit even though it will require users navigate to a search page.

Regarding your specific request, we understand that it is not desirable to embed other tools or find alternative ways to show more than 16 results. I can take this feedback to our team and consider if we increase this limit. For context, in the past we've found that a large gallery (more than 16 results) reduces usability and detracts from other elements on a page especially if an end user is viewing a Hub site on mobile. What is a desirable number of items? How often do you want to show a gallery of more than 16 results?

Amanda__Huber

Hi Thomas, 

Thanks so much for your quick reply! This is great news to hear that there will be an alternative search view coming with thumbnail display. We're excited to test this and see what this looks like. 

The team's concern with the UX of more than 16 results is understandable but I believe there may be other ways to improve this issue and mimic what other website UIs as already doing.

One example- the category gallery could have an option that allows the user to toggle through multiple pages or select the number of items in a view. This option reduces the amount of scrolling for the user if desired or if the user would like to view more on that page they also have that option. 

This example is pulled from an experience Esri already offers in the My Esri website: 

Amanda__Huber_1-1675190976811.png

Option 2-  the category gallery could have a set number of cards initially but then allow the user to "load more" and view more results on that page. This lengthens the scrolling experience at the user's command and allows for a seamless user experience (and page load experience)

This example was pulled from a third party website (initially loads 60 then allows to load the next 60 in mobile view) :

Amanda__Huber_2-1675191214815.png

Please let me know if you think either of these examples could be plausible solutions for your concerns!

Thanks,

Amanda Huber

Emily_Nilson

Hi @Amanda__Huber ! Thank you for these ideas. I'm keen to learn how many items would be desired to show in a gallery for your specific cases, and how often you'd use an expanded gallery option. 

Amanda__Huber

Hi @Emily_Nilson , 

Absolutely, I would be happy to show you our use cases. I manage multiple Hub/Hub Sites for 2 different organizations (with one being built as we speak) and in each instance this would be useful functionality. 

Thanks,

Amanda

HollyTorpey_LSA

We also would really like to have the option to include more than 16 cards in a gallery. I really like @Amanda__Huber's suggestion of a "load more" button at the bottom of the gallery. The search interface @ThomasHervey1 mentioned would likely also help us.

In our case, we are an environmental consulting company that manages hundreds of projects at a time. We make internal data viewers for a small subset of these projects and add them to a group to include them in our gallery. Some of these viewers are used sporadically over a period of years, and get pushed off the page if we take the top 16 by creation or update date, and the newest apps get pushed off the page if we take the top 16 by popularity. I keep having to come up with new ways to subdivide them to get around the limit of 16 cards. I wish I could just set the limit myself, balancing number of cards with performance and user experience as I see fit.