Issue with ArcGIS Portal being the license manager for ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
09-05-2023 07:28 PM
DeepikaJain01
New Contributor III

Dear Community

I am trying to install ArcGIS Enterprise along with ArcGIS Pro, so I have created a license file(.json) from MyESRI and have configured it with ArcGIS Portal. I can see ArcGIS Pro licenses in there. I have also installed the License Manager and have authorized it with the same license file. I can see Licenses in the Availability tab there as well. I have cross checked the License Manager hostname in the portaladmin and it is correct along with port number as 27000. Both Portal and License manager are on same machine. Now when I am trying to access and authenticate ArcGIS Pro (which is on diff machine) from Portal. It gives me the following error:

DeepikaJain01_0-1693967295869.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

You're almost there.  The license manager uses two ports for two separate vendor daemons.  Port 27000 is the default port for the lmgrd.exe daemon.  you must define another open port for the ArcGIS.exe vendor daemon.  After doing so, both ports must be open through the firewall(s).  Refer to the following documentation for additional information:  https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/license-manager/latest/configure-the-arcgis-license-manager-to-work-th...

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

It could be a firewall issue.  I understand that ArcGIS Pro initially communicates with the Enterprise Portal using HTTPS (Port 443)  which is typically open.  However, it then communicates with the license manager using 27000.  If your portal machine has a software firewall, then this will need to be opened.  If your License Manager is in a different network security zone to the ArcGIS Pro, then you will need to open 27000 on the perimeter firewall as well.

I'm not saying this is the answer, but it's something that is often overlooked. 

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
DeepikaJain01
New Contributor III

Hi @Scott_Tansley  Thanks for the answer, both the machines are in same cluster and I tried telnet for the portal machine for 27000 port from the ArcGIS Pro machine, and it establishes the connection. I am not sure why I am getting this issue.

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

Okay, so I only have one client that used Pro with Portal licensing.  In New Zealand most people use AGOL because of Civil Defence reasons.  It was found that port 27000 wasn't actually being used and it was a totally different port.  The client had to work with Esri support to find out which port was being used and then had a new JSON file provided with the specific port number.

In summary, I think you need to go through Esri support channels on this one.

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Named User licensing in ArcGIS Enterprise—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

MarceloMarques_0-1694017954969.png

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

You're almost there.  The license manager uses two ports for two separate vendor daemons.  Port 27000 is the default port for the lmgrd.exe daemon.  you must define another open port for the ArcGIS.exe vendor daemon.  After doing so, both ports must be open through the firewall(s).  Refer to the following documentation for additional information:  https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/license-manager/latest/configure-the-arcgis-license-manager-to-work-th...

DeepikaJain01
New Contributor III

Thank you everyone for the help, that was the exact issue. I had to define another for ArcGIS Vendor and then define open it through the firewall through Inbound rules. ArGIS Pro opens up like a charm..Phew....:)

0 Kudos