Copy features from old edgb to a new edgb ?

Jump to solution
09-06-2023 11:03 PM
StadtCuxhaven
New Contributor II

Hello.

We have an old sql server 2016 with sde geodatabases in version 10.5.1.

The new server is a sql server 2022 with the newest sde version. Now my question:

Can I just simply copy the feature classes and raster datesets from the old to the new server via ArcGIS Pro? Or should I completely recreate the data because of the different sde database versions ? 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
MiguelParedes
Esri Contributor

Greetings @StadtCuxhaven 

A very similar query was resolved by the advice given by @MarceloMarques in  SDE - Enterprise Geodatabase Relocation to New Server.

The above should give you guidance for your migration plan.  

Hope that helps.

Miguel

View solution in original post

MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @StadtCuxhaven

Question:

"Can I just simply copy the feature classes and raster datesets from the old to the new server via ArcGIS Pro? Or should I completely recreate the data because of the different sde database versions ? "

Answer:

Yes, you can use ArcGIS Pro to Copy the data from the old geodatabase into the new geodatabase.

If the old dataset is small then use ArcGIS Pro to Copy + Paste the Featureclasses, Featuredatasets, Raster datasets.

If the old dataset size is large then ArcGIS Pro Copy + Paste can take a long time and can fail during the transfer process for a number of reasons, network interruption, etc., in such cases the recommendation is to export the schema-only of the old geodatabase into an xml doc, then import the schema-only into the new geodatabase and then use tools like ArcGIS Pro Append Data GP Tool to load the data from the old geodatabase into the new geodatabase. You will need to pay close attention to the objectid if that is been used in relationship classes as foreign keys, the data load with generate new objectids, hence if you have foreign keys based on objectid then in the old geodatabase create a field named "oid" and updated it with the objectid value, then after all the data is reloaded you can set a new foreign key column using the "oid" column and the old foreign key column to match the records. You can use SQL update statement to do this directly in SQL Server, which will be much faster than trying to do via ArcGIS Pro.

For more information on large data loads in SQL Server please read my white paper.
community.esri.com - How Load Large Featureclass SQL Server Geodatabase

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MiguelParedes
Esri Contributor

Greetings @StadtCuxhaven 

A very similar query was resolved by the advice given by @MarceloMarques in  SDE - Enterprise Geodatabase Relocation to New Server.

The above should give you guidance for your migration plan.  

Hope that helps.

Miguel
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @StadtCuxhaven

Question:

"Can I just simply copy the feature classes and raster datesets from the old to the new server via ArcGIS Pro? Or should I completely recreate the data because of the different sde database versions ? "

Answer:

Yes, you can use ArcGIS Pro to Copy the data from the old geodatabase into the new geodatabase.

If the old dataset is small then use ArcGIS Pro to Copy + Paste the Featureclasses, Featuredatasets, Raster datasets.

If the old dataset size is large then ArcGIS Pro Copy + Paste can take a long time and can fail during the transfer process for a number of reasons, network interruption, etc., in such cases the recommendation is to export the schema-only of the old geodatabase into an xml doc, then import the schema-only into the new geodatabase and then use tools like ArcGIS Pro Append Data GP Tool to load the data from the old geodatabase into the new geodatabase. You will need to pay close attention to the objectid if that is been used in relationship classes as foreign keys, the data load with generate new objectids, hence if you have foreign keys based on objectid then in the old geodatabase create a field named "oid" and updated it with the objectid value, then after all the data is reloaded you can set a new foreign key column using the "oid" column and the old foreign key column to match the records. You can use SQL update statement to do this directly in SQL Server, which will be much faster than trying to do via ArcGIS Pro.

For more information on large data loads in SQL Server please read my white paper.
community.esri.com - How Load Large Featureclass SQL Server Geodatabase

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov