Select to view content in your preferred language

Is there any reason not to enable indexing on enterprise geodatabases?

Jump to solution
12-06-2023 05:05 AM
MDB_GIS
Frequent Contributor

By default, the option is off. I'd like to cut it on because it would be nice to be able to use the search function in enterprise geodatabases. But I wasn't sure if there was a reason it was off by default. I don't want to enable it, forget I did it and then find out about some weird issue caused by it a few months from now! Thank you for any information you can provide. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

if your enterprise geodatabase is quite large with many featureclasses and tables and if your map document has data from multiple enterprise geodatabases that are quite large, then you see, if you enable the Pro document index option for enterprise geodatabases it can have a performance impact to build the index and to maintain the index.

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, you can enable this in the ArcGIS Pro document, read more in the post below.

Solved: ArcGIS Pro Search capability - Esri Community

The contents of enterprise geodatabases aren't indexed by default in ArcGIS Pro. To enable indexing, go to the Settings page (click Project tab in a project), click Options on the left, and click the Indexing option. In the Options dialog box, uncheck the box that says Skip enterprise database connections. Same thing for network folders--except you have to check the box to index them. Index project items 

MarceloMarques_0-1701880376115.png

Note, you still need to have the Database Administrator to rebuild indexes and gather new statistics for the Enterprise Geodatabase Database (Oracle, SQL Server, PostgreSQL) regularly, the above is only to index content in the ArcGIS Pro document for the search capability.

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |
MDB_GIS
Frequent Contributor

My options look a bit different than that. 

MatthewBeal_0-1701880689321.png

Either way, though, I was aware of the location. My primary question is if there is any reason I SHOULDN'T enable. Since it is disabled by default, I figured that there must be a reason. I just wanted to make sure there weren't any potential performance issues that could result from having it enabled. 

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

if your enterprise geodatabase is quite large with many featureclasses and tables and if your map document has data from multiple enterprise geodatabases that are quite large, then you see, if you enable the Pro document index option for enterprise geodatabases it can have a performance impact to build the index and to maintain the index.

0 Kudos
MDB_GIS
Frequent Contributor

What would be considered large? I have two eGDBs with probably ~150 feature classes between both of them. All of them hold datasets at the county level. Nothing globe spanning. 

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Pretty small, 150 featureclasses, shall have no impact if you enable Pro Document Index Search for geodatabases, something large will be in the order of thousands of featureclasses in the enterprise geodatabases all together, then probably you will not want you Pro document wasting time to index that for the search capability.

0 Kudos
MDB_GIS
Frequent Contributor

Perfect! I'll keep it enabled then! Makes life much easier being able to search for things!

0 Kudos