How to copy content across ArcGIS Enterprise portals

03-26-2024 02:45 AM
g1omaa
by
New Contributor

We have set up two environments for ArcGIS Enterprise (11.2). One for testing and one for production. There are plenty of "half-working" workflows to copy content from one environment to the other. However, none of the workflows is great. We think (and hope) that we are missing something.

Python API: Does not allow to copy Experience Builder Apps. This is frustrating as the Experience Builder Apps take the most time to build.

ArcGIS Rest API: Would be convenient, however it is currently disabled by our administrator due to security reasons. Also does not allow copying Experience Builder Apps https://vshare.onl/.

ArcGIS Assistant: Allows to clone items, however many parts have to be changed manually afterwards in the JSON files because IDs and URLs are not adjusted. For complex Apps consisting of multiple Feature Layers, a WebMap and an Experience Builder, this is an error-prone and frustrating task.

We would like to actually use the two environments we set up with the usual cycle:

Develop in testing environment

When "done" clone to production environment.

Get feedback.

Adjust version in testing until "done".

Publish to production (overwrite all the content to keep URLs the same!!).

Repeat

Do you have any advice?

6 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @g1omaa,

These tools here will do exactly what you're looking for.

WGIS
by
New Contributor II

I have the same issue. Thanks for the help but our organization has SAML set up, so the tools do not work unfortunately.

0 Kudos
WGIS
by
New Contributor II

And also it is crazy that I need Admin information for this tool just to copy content. With SAML Login this is no option for our organization, so any workflow requiring an Admin account is not possible.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

@WGIS with SAML enabled, you can still create a built-in Administrator account and use that.  An Administrator account is not required, but the tool would have to be re-written in a few places so that a Publisher could execute it successfully.  However, it may be worth given some thought if you want a non-admin promoting content to your Production environment.  

WGIS
by
New Contributor II

Unfortunately, our company does not allow to create built-in users due to security concerns (only one-factor authentication) so we rely on SAML login. I do not see a possibility to login with SAML with an ArcGIS Pro Tool (I hope that I am wrong)... The login url is opened in the browser and you receive a token after successful login that you should  provide back to Python. But there is no way to enter the token in the tool. 

In a "normal" Python script, the script pauses and waits for the user to enter the token in the terminal once I call "portal = arcgis.GIS(...)"

0 Kudos
TimoT
by
New Contributor III

Built-in users can have MFA enabled.