gdb create service; "There was an error while adding this item"

03-17-2023 09:42 AM
TylerT
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I'm getting a rather vague error when uploading a gdb zip file, then publishing in Enterprise Portal.  This process can be done in one fell swoop with through the New Item dialogue "Add upload.zip and create a hosted feature layer" or in two separate steps.  Either way, same error.  If I share a feature class/layer from the same gdb, I do not get an error.  There is only one feature class in the gdb (for my test run).  I am looking for troubleshooting suggestions.  Let me know if you have any ideas.  Thank you.

Tyler

ArcGIS Pro 3.1.0
Enterprise 11.0

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TylerT
by

Update/Correction: Sharing as a web layer through gui is now failing also, although the analyzer shows no errors or warnings.  The service definition is created on the portal but then fails creating the item.

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Can you do a quick health check, and create a new Hosted Feature Layer from the Portal UI 'add item'? If you can't do this, suggests that something wider is going on with your portal and it's not specific to the .gdb.

Otherwise, most apparent issue will be filenames? Any special characters in the zipped foldername? Are you able to share it so we can take a look or try?

0 Kudos
TylerT
by

@ChristopherCounsell; Good call.  Health check failed.  IT is looking into Portal issues.  Stay tuned, or if you have any Portal tips feel free to chime int.  Thx.  Tyler

ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Not being able to create layers = bad portal health. Warrants a ticket with Esri support if you are unsure on how to proceed. Depends a lot on context (i.e. was portal working, and now isn't, or was it never working as a new install).

Do standard checks like validate data store, check ArcGIS Server instance is running, validate hosted server in portal organization settings. Check ArcGIS Server Manager logs at time of attempting to create it. Check ArcGIS Data Store is running. Check licencing etc... so many things. Want to narrow it down first. Your portal administrator, IT and Esri support should be OK to investigate it.

0 Kudos