What Three Words - Global Addressing System

09-15-2015 10:39 AM
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

I saw a tweet today about immigration offices in Thailand having three word addresses and was directed to this site - www.what3words.com.

I watched the video and checked out the map.  It is an intriguing system, I was wondering what you folks thought about it.

I assign addresses in my position as well as deal with addresses in error, or people that don't know their address (it happens more than you would think).  Remembering three words would be easier than a number a street a city a state/province and a postal code.

There's less to screw up, but my initial thoughts are spelling and transposition.  Also regardless of how much easier it is to remember three words you still need to get there using the transportation network.  Emergency personnel can use parts of a traditional address to know the general location of an incident whereas with three random (and they are random) words nobody is going to know where that is until they plug it into the web site.

What do you think about it?

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
40 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

But then they'd have to change it to: W3W&1N

GIS-Cambria
Occasional Contributor II

That made me laugh! Thanks.

0 Kudos
JeffWard

I think it can have its uses.  I think more for travel or in areas without an established road network as long as there is a routing part to it.  Locals will be better served by the familiar road network.

I also agree with Chris Donohue​ that the randomness might be its downfall.  Our brains are wired to think linearly and when you start having to remember 3m squares by three words then space becomes pixelated and we don't handle that very well - we still have to connect those dots with lines.  Maybe when teleportation becomes possible we will be able to develop that talent.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Maybe when teleportation becomes possible we will be able to develop that talent.

That'll be the key....  

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JeffWard

Get on the Joe Borgione

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

What3Words had an exhibit booth this year at the Esri User Conference. It was definitely interesting to hear them describe their application. I went to download the app on my phone and realized it required iOS 8. At the time they lost me because I was still on iOS 7, but now that you brought this discussion up I am installing it on my phone.

Fairly simple to sign up although I don't know what good my account is as I can look up addresses. Looks like it integrates with Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze. I currently do not have a use for it; however, it's a unique concept.

0 Kudos
DuaneMarble
New Contributor

I strongly suggest that you read the extensive blog posting by Dr. Mike Dobson. Dr. Dobson is one of the world's leading experts on cartography and was, for many years, the chief cartographer for Rand McNally. Dr. Dobson's comments may be found at:  Exploring Local » Blog Archive » What3Words – Not.Quite.Right

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Thank you Duane,

As Dr. Mike mentioned, "If you don’t have the time to read it, skip to the bottom section titled And Now a Word From Monty Python – it skips the details, but will give you the gist of my evaluation."

0 Kudos
ScottBranchfield
New Contributor

I guess I am so biased by the existing system it is hard for me grasp the practicalities of this. In addition to the other concerns mentioned, I wonder about a natural disaster where the emergency responders might not have access to the web.

0 Kudos
CaitlinChristenson1
New Contributor

They approached us about it as well but we declined since we have E 911 addressing already in place and converting to NG 911. I think it would be good as others were saying in places where they don't have any type of addressing scheme already planned.

0 Kudos