Maps and Apps Question - Local Government

Jump to solution
09-10-2014 04:34 PM
SteveGoates
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am trying to start using the Local Government Information Model and the Local Government Maps and Apps.

These are billed as a collection of Maps and Apps that "can be configured for knowledge workers in your organization and the citizens you serve".

I got some of my data into the LGIM, and downloaded the Local Government Basemaps to start.

After re-pathing some of the data in the .mxd i ran into drawing problems, specificially "One or more layers failed to draw:

City:  2K:  Building Footprints_2K:  Attribute column not found [42S22:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'SHAPE_Area'.] [NCSD_LGIM_Data.DBO.BuildingFootprint]"

When i contacted ESRI support for help, I was told that the Local Govt maps and apps are just for example, not for my own use - (re-pathing with my own LGIM data).  The analyst said that they had "never seen that work".

I don't feel that is right, seems to me like these .mxd's are distributed with the intent of people re-pathing to their own data, no?

Thanks for any help or insights.

Steve

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SteveGoates
New Contributor II

OK, problem solved, thank you Allison.  The toolbox worked to resource the Local government basemap MXD's from file geodatabases to enterprise geodatabases. 

To summarize - The local govt basemaps are indeed meant for users to re-path them to their own data and use them accordingly.  The .mxd's have file geodatabase source references, and will result in drawing errors if the user repaths them with enterprise geodatabase data.  The tool (migrationtoolbeta) repaths the .mxd's to handle enterprise geodatabases.

Thank you Allison, Scott, and Aarthi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

I'm pretty sure Scott Oppmann‌ would disagree with your tech support analyst's viewpoint.

I have been able to publish several of the basemaps authored by Esri as services.  The way I re-path the layers is I move the basemap to another folder which breaks the links to the data since they are stored as relative path names.  I then open the map (it takes a while because it can't find the data) click on one of the red exclamation marks in the TOC and point it to my corresponding layer in my LGIM, ArcMap finds the rest on its own.

I am running into the same error you are with the invalid column name when I try to publish my parcels with a 1:M condo table.  Did you find a solution?  Is your data in an older version of the LGIM?

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor

You are correct Jeff - I would disagree with the tech support analysts viewpoint and Lindsay Thomas‌ is going to follow up with support.   Steve - expect a follow up from Esri Support Services.

This summer we developed a tool to help users resolve the shape.area issue that crops up when users deploy the maps and apps in different RDBMS's.  We will be shipping this tool in our Winter release, but Allison Muise‌ can provide it to you prior. 

Sorry for the confusion.

SteveGoates1
New Contributor II

Thanks very much Scott, I appreciate the info and look forward to the fix.

0 Kudos
SteveGoates1
New Contributor II

Thanks a Ton Jeff for responding!  I have been switched around a bunch with ESRI support, but today i this:  "I did speak to a Senior analyst in Desktop who is an expert in Local Government models and also the Local Government Team  You are right you should be able to re- path your data to the mxds without any issues or any drawing errors!"

The analyst is now working with a copy of my LGIM database to see why i am getting this error.  I'll post here when i find out the fix.

0 Kudos
SteveGoates
New Contributor II

Just an update:

No word yet from ESRI, other than they are able to reproduce my problem.

It's been a full month since reporting the problem and no fix yet.

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1

Hi Steve,

It doesn't seem that I can attach toolboxes to GeoNet posts, but I've sent a beta copy of the tool mentioned by Scott to the support analyst working on your case.

The tool takes mxds that are sourced to fgdbs and re-sources them to data in an enterprise gdb. As part of this, it will also update layer and label definitions. It does assume that:

1. all of the layers, tables, etc in the mxd currently point to content in a single fgdb
  2. all layers, tables, etc are to be updated to point to feature classes, tables, etc in a single enterprise gdb
  3. the names of the underlying feature classes, tables, etc are the same in both the fgdb and egdb

For any others who are reading this post and would also like a copy of this tool: We are anticipating releasing this tool in an a future version of the LocalGovernment.tbx. If you'd like to try out the beta, please send me a PM that includes your email address.

-Allison

SteveGoates
New Contributor II

OK, problem solved, thank you Allison.  The toolbox worked to resource the Local government basemap MXD's from file geodatabases to enterprise geodatabases. 

To summarize - The local govt basemaps are indeed meant for users to re-path them to their own data and use them accordingly.  The .mxd's have file geodatabase source references, and will result in drawing errors if the user repaths them with enterprise geodatabase data.  The tool (migrationtoolbeta) repaths the .mxd's to handle enterprise geodatabases.

Thank you Allison, Scott, and Aarthi

0 Kudos
JackiePhpps
New Contributor

Is this still in beta? If so I am interested in getting a copy. If not is it located somewhere else? I tried writing a PM but we are not connected so it would n't let me.

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1

Hi Jackie,

This tool is available here: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=6003a9c2566f447996ce514a63a34732

-Allison