Select to view content in your preferred language

Sitescan Image shift in AGOL shared orthos

08-03-2023 06:12 AM
Matt-Barrett
Occasional Contributor

I'm new to Sitescan, so I'm still learning and maybe this is a learning curve thing, but maybe not.  It is newer software after all.

When I process drone images in Sitescan I'm fairly consistently seeing a shift in the processed ortho when shared to AGOL and viewed in ArcGIS Pro Desktop (and AGOL maps), but when I download the orthotiff and view in ArcGIS Pro Desktop I don't see the shift.  These are images processed in Sitescan using manually applied control points, but I've also seen in images processed with automatically detected GCPs.  I thought I used Reality Engine, but the settings screen doesn't seem to indicate that now, so I'm not sure, but I did include mesh generation as part of the processing.  See screenshot photos for an example.  

In each of the attached images you'll see a parking lot I flew yesterday and processed in sitescan in the afternoon.  There are a number of catch basins and manholes I gps-located (after the flight) as green points, and one with a red point that I used as one of my GCP's.  In the screen shot of the AGOL shared ortho you'll see the shift I'm talking about, but in the ortho tiff I downloaded there's no shift.  You can even tell which cb's I gps-located in the center vs along the gutter line (center vs center back) if you zoom in close enough.

Drone is a mavic enterprise 3M RTK.

Any ideas @Thomas_Sweet or any other Sitescan people?  Is this a sitescan bug or user error?  Screen shots and processing report attached.  I'm happy to share the actual images and gcp file if anyone else wants to try.

Thanks!

matt

  

5 Replies
GIS-Cambria
Occasional Contributor II

Are you applying transformations in your ArcPro project and AGOL service? Maybe the service from AGOL is sending images with the default EPSG 3857 CRS and causing a shift between a local project and service.

Matt-Barrett
Occasional Contributor

I processed the imagery in the same coordinate system that I use in Pro.  (NAD83 Stateplane HARN Massachusetts Mainland USFeet FIPS2001 (IPSG2894)).

However, I suppose it's possible the shift is due to the default web coordinate system in Mapviewer.  I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Thomas_Sweet
Esri Contributor

Hi Matt, thank you for reaching out.  May i suggest that you engage directly with you Sites Scan Customer success manager?  They should be able to resolve this issue very quickly.  Please send me an email at tsweet@esri.com if you need an introduction.

Pål_Herman_Sund
Occasional Contributor III

To my knowledge,

• downloading results from SiteScan gives an image in the "output coordinate system". Hence no shift when used i ArcGIS Pro
  • sharing to AGOL will do the WGS84 WebMercator and may introduce the shift. If you are lucky, with the right transformation parameters, you can correct it in Pro

I was pretty much surprised the first time I learned this - at my latitudes the WM is not much used and why Sharing to AGOL does not use the output coordinate system, and in AGOL also a tiling scheme - which easily may be provided, was a (negative) surprise. 

0 Kudos
Thomas_Sweet
Esri Contributor

Thank you for this great feedback it is very much appreciated and we will be sure the dev teams hear you  Please keep your feedback coming in.  - Tom