Select to view content in your preferred language

Is the Living Atlas Terrain Service supported for use in Web Tools?

01-11-2021 07:33 AM
RichardHughes2
Occasional Contributor III

We have a need to use the Living Atlas Terrain Layer in a Web Tool to analyze slope and aspect within a boundary.  The overall model/scripts are rather complex, but the issue I have is simple.  To use the Terrain Image Service I have tried creating a GIS Server connnection and providing the url for the Living Atlas Server.  This used to work, but now the Living Atlas Terrain3D layer does not validate.  However, the TopoBathy3D layer does.  Is there a credential issue going on because the Terrain is also registered with Portal?  

I've been experimenting with different data sources for the Living Atlas Terrain Layer by using the item registered with Portal, but that always fails to publish, siting an error with credentials.

Is using the Terrain layer supported in a Web Tool?  What is the recommended approach for using it?

Should we register the Living Atlas layers with Portal, or does the web tool need to connect directly to AGOL?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
BradBrasel
New Contributor

Did you ever get this issue figured out?  Having the same issue with the USA Soils Map Unit Feature Service, when publishing a web tool.  

0 Kudos
RichardHughes2
Occasional Contributor III

Yes the Living Atlas Terrain Image Service does work in the Web Tool.  It works when using an .ags connection to the publicly available Living Atlas Layers in a folder referenced with the GIS Server.  I believe I found that I could not use the same living Atlas Layers shared to our Portal possibly due to the extra authentication required, so the open AGOL service is the way we do it.  We are not storing any username/passwords in the ags connection file.  Also, it is important to have the Portal URL be an input parameter to the script tool, otherwise the Analyze process will interpret the static path as an invalid data source.