Oriented Imagery, Integrated into ArcGIS

10-27-2023 04:23 PM
EmilyWindahl
Esri Contributor
3 8 841

We're integrating oriented imagery directly into ArcGIS foundational products! With the new oriented imagery capability of ArcGIS, you can expand the range of imagery sources and perspectives in your GIS to better inform decision-making and provide situational awareness.

With the October release of ArcGIS Online, check out the new oriented imagery layer and oriented imagery widget in the ArcGIS Maps SDK for JavaScript, and support for visualizing oriented imagery (including the oriented imagery viewer!) built in to Map Viewer. The ArcGIS Pro 3.2 release will include the ability to manage and visualize oriented imagery directly within Pro, plus the option to publish oriented imagery layers to ArcGIS Online (and ArcGIS Enterprise 11.2). More key features will be introduced throughout 2024.

Read the blog to learn more about the integrated oriented imagery capability. If you're already an Oriented Imagery Classic user, check out the FAQ to see what the plan is for the legacy version of oriented imagery.

8 Comments
rdbutger
New Contributor II

FAQs states - "The initial release will support frame images, stored locally or in public cloud storage, using JPEG/JPG, TIFF/COG, or MRF formats (MRF is only supported when hosted in the cloud). "

Online help states - "
The path and name of the input data. The following are supported:

• One or more images in JPEG format.
  • A folder containing images. Only JPEG images will be added to the dataset from the folder."

When I attempt to use Add Images with our COG obliques, no images are added. 

Which is it? Are TIFF/COGs supported? Or must the images be in JPG format? 

RandallRebello
Occasional Contributor II

Hi 

Allow me to clarify your confusion. 

In the ArcGIS Online Help  under the Usage section the third point should clarify the confusion.  What it states is that whatever input method you use (add individual images, or via a folder or table) JPEG format is supported.  however if you need to add TIF or MRF it would have to be added via a table. A link to the table schema is also provided in the help. 

Currently Image EXIF data is read only from JPEG images, which is why you can add them directly to an Oriented Imagery Dataset. However for other supported image formats the image metadata will be read from a table with the supported schema. 

The FAQ was just to give an indication of the supported formats, but the help has the details of how you can add those formats . 

Hope this helps you. 

Thanks, 

Randall 

rdbutger
New Contributor II

@RandallRebello - will there be any company/camera specific instructions like there was with OIC Classic and specific *.py, types, and *.doc files recommended/provided? 

RandallRebello

Hi 

This is in discussion on how best to handle custom types. 

However at the moment the best way to this is  to create a table and use the table as input.  

Randall

RichardButgereit
Occasional Contributor

Disregard my previous message. I figured out what I was doing wrong!

RandallRebello

Hi Richard, 

I saw your message in the email notification I got... Can you share what you did wrong? maybe it is something we can improve on for the next version. 

Thanks 

Randall 

rdbutger
New Contributor II

Randall -- 

My first mistake was not renaming our CameraX/CameraY fields to X,Y -- that's why no images were loading. 

Still working through manipulating our EO file into a CSV with proper columns and attributes.

I did notice what I think is a mistake on this page -- https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/imagery/oriented-imagery-table.htm.

AcquisitonDate

Optional

Date

The date when the image was collected. The time of the image collection can also be included.

I think that needs to be AcquisitionDate -- that is what the tool appears to be looking for. 

rdbutger
New Contributor II

I wanted to share an issue we had with Oriented Imagery and this release with ArcGIS Pro 3.2. 

There is a bug with these tools. From Esri technical support -- 

"We have identified a Bug when the oriented imagery dataset is of a coordinate system with horizontal units other than meters."

And later this update -- 

"I got an update from the Dev team, the input data location can be in any spatial reference but the workaround is to create the oriented imagery dataset in a coordinate system with unit as meters. Apart from this, unfortunately, we are not having any workaround at this point. I understand you were not working in meters, so this workaround will not work for you. We will have to wait till the ArcGIS Pro 3.3 release to have a fix for the issue."

Want to share in case others were having issues using these tools with ArcGIS Pro 3.2 and horizontal units for your imagery is not meters.

About the Author
Emily is a product manager on the Imagery Team, helping create tools and best practices for working with imagery and rasters in ArcGIS.