Webgisdr to rule them all

Jump to solution
06-22-2021 12:10 PM
NicolasGIS
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I have been administrating an ArcGIS Enterprise for some time now (since 10.5), following the upgrades, faced some troubles from time to time and the solution was always the webgisdr tool which hopefully works well.

I saw in the documentation the various datastore utilities to manage data store backup but I always wonder why are those tools useful as the datastore content is correlated to the ArcGIS Server services and the Portal for ArcGIS content. You cannot restore one without the others right ? ... or there would (could) be some discrepancies ?

In which scenario is it meant to be used ? To me, the more webgisdr backup you make, the safer you are !

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Agreed with @ReeseFacendini; you could create both WebGIS DR and separate Data Store backups, and restore only the Data Store backup if there's only a problem with the Data Store. The problem is potential orphaned services and content. Publishers or administrators may have published data that didn't make it into a Data Store backup, (i.e. they you create a Data Store backup at 12:00PM and someone publishes at 12:10PM). If you restore the backup from 12:00PM, the data associated with those new services can't be found, so the item is unuseable.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

The backup tools that apart of ArcGIS DataStore, can be used in tandem with WebGISDr as an extra precaution.  The tools can also be used if something happens to the machine where DataStore is installed (while the rest of the Enterprise is fully functional), and it allows the DataStore to be restored without having to restore everything.  But you are correct, we do recommend using WebGISDr to capture a comprehensive backup of all data and items within Enterprise.

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Agreed with @ReeseFacendini; you could create both WebGIS DR and separate Data Store backups, and restore only the Data Store backup if there's only a problem with the Data Store. The problem is potential orphaned services and content. Publishers or administrators may have published data that didn't make it into a Data Store backup, (i.e. they you create a Data Store backup at 12:00PM and someone publishes at 12:10PM). If you restore the backup from 12:00PM, the data associated with those new services can't be found, so the item is unuseable.

NicolasGIS
Occasional Contributor III

Hello @JonathanQuinn  and @ReeseFacendini,

Many thanks for your confirmation and explanations.

It's clearer now. Much appreciated

0 Kudos