Thank you for joining the GIS Day Live Chat!

10-17-2018 02:52 PM
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

And that's a wrap!

Thank you for joining us today on our first GIS Day Live Chat. Your questions have been great.

And a special thank you to our special guests Joseph Kerski‌, Nicole Minni‌, and Luis Olivieri‌. 

If you would like to post additional questions for our guests, please continue and they will respond to additional questions as they have time. 

We encourage you to continue sharing your GIS Day celebrations by posting your photos and stories on the https://community.esri.com/groups/gis-day/blog/2018/11/01/celebrate-gis-day-2018-share-your-story-on...

GIS Day "We

• 11:00 a.m. - And we're live! Go ahead and ask your questions! 

• 11:15 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question. 

• 11:30 a.m. - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming! 

• 11:45 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question. 

• 11:55 a.m. - Five minutes to go! Got any fun questions for our guests?

• 12:00 p.m. - And that's a wrap! The  LIVE CHAT has ended with our guests.

96 Replies
NicoleMinni
New Contributor III

Very cool! I will share this with my son!

0 Kudos
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

How are you folks paying / funding your GIS Day events? --Joseph 

NicoleMinni
New Contributor III

Thanks for asking that Joseph. We ask for sponsorship which helps pay for the Earth Balloon that we rent from the Delaware Children's museum, station materials, as well as breakfast and lunch for our volunteers. Here is a list of our sponsors for this year. » Delaware GIS Day 2018 Delaware GeoEducation  Then afterwards we send them a handmade thank you card, created by Miriam Pomilio.

MiriamPomilio
New Contributor II

Awe, Nicole, thanks for the credit!  We have to make sure to thank our sponsors because without them (and all our volunteers) we'd never be able to host such a fun Field Trip event for students in Delaware!

SharonJanzen
New Contributor III

Our day is pretty low key but we sell antique map prints and the funds raised usually go to GIS Day stuff (prizes for trivia contest and GIS Jeopardy)...the University Library pays for the cake (gotta have cake) and we get donations from the university Bookstore and student union.

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks Sharon - clever!

0 Kudos
JohannesBuerger
New Contributor

Hi Joseph,

Based on North Park University's Swedish traditions, the provost sponsors FIKA events. These events are similar to tea time and focus on sharing experiences, research, news, and other insights among the campus community. I organized the GIS Day as such a FIKA event, hosted by the provost.

0 Kudos
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

Joseph,

Do you have a sense of how often STEM programs for high school and younger students bring GIS into the mix? Same question for Arts magnet schools.

(I am thinking ahead to retirement and how and where to volunteer.)

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Dana - I would say first that I salute you for being interested in education - and be sure to look at http://geomentors.net  - the geomentor program. 

Second, our team put together this STEM and GIS booklet - https://www.esri.com/library/ebooks/advancing-stem-education-with-gis.pdf   STEM has definitely helped the promotion and use of GIS around the country and around the world. --Joseph K 

0 Kudos
deleted-user-PtRDJk6zxghS
New Contributor II

All,

What are some of the biggest struggles you face with GIS? What would be one thing you would change?