Thank you for joining the GIS Day Live Chat!

10-17-2018 02:52 PM
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

And that's a wrap!

Thank you for joining us today on our first GIS Day Live Chat. Your questions have been great.

And a special thank you to our special guests Joseph Kerski‌, Nicole Minni‌, and Luis Olivieri‌. 

If you would like to post additional questions for our guests, please continue and they will respond to additional questions as they have time. 

We encourage you to continue sharing your GIS Day celebrations by posting your photos and stories on the https://community.esri.com/groups/gis-day/blog/2018/11/01/celebrate-gis-day-2018-share-your-story-on...

GIS Day "We

• 11:00 a.m. - And we're live! Go ahead and ask your questions! 

• 11:15 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question. 

• 11:30 a.m. - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming! 

• 11:45 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question. 

• 11:55 a.m. - Five minutes to go! Got any fun questions for our guests?

• 12:00 p.m. - And that's a wrap! The  LIVE CHAT has ended with our guests.

96 Replies
LuisOlivieri1
New Contributor III

We want to create awareness about GIS (the reason for GIS Day) so we are bringing people that are actually working in the area.  They are going to talk about how they are using GIS in their daily life. We are including short presentations from government, ESRI, and also a GIS Coordinator from a local college to talk about where they can study GIS.   

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

I wish I could be there Luis.  All - I have visited Hopeworks, where Luis works, twice in the past.  He and the program are incredibly inspiring.   All - I have also visited Nicole in Delaware once in the past - awesome as well.  

--Joseph K 

AndrewHomsey
New Contributor II

Question for Luis, Joseph, and/or Nicole:
what do you feel the new direction in online mapping and data is? Is there lots of room to grow and innovate?

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Andrew - I would say the 5 key trends in GIS are - 1. BIM - building information management; 2.  3D GIS.  3.  Web GIS paradigm.  4.  Citizen science, and 5.  Enterprise GIS (throughout an organization.).  Midway down this story map presentation of mine I have them listed - https://denverro.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=fb060544d4bc4d15a1b8bed38048859b   

--Joseph K 

AndrewHomsey
New Contributor II

Excellent, thank you!

NicoleMinni
New Contributor III

Online mapping and data is really opening the doors for people who do not know a lot about GIS to see the power behind GIS. With FirstMap State of Delaware - FirstMap  as our data repository and ArcGIS Online capabilities small towns in Delaware can see and use GIS now. With story maps and other online mapping applications there is still alot of room to grow and be creative.

LuisOlivieri1
New Contributor III

I'm an old-school GIS user.  I'm still getting used to the using GIS Online.  I think it is awesome and the only way I see it reaching more people.  It's going to reach people without any GIS background that just need to make a map or visualize spatial data.  I think online mapping is going to be incorporated into other technologies...   Think about an

Excell-ArcGIS Online combination! 

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, and one manifestation of that is Esri Maps for MS Office.  You can go into Excel, click the ArcGIS Add on at the top of Excel, and map your data.  The map goes into ArcGIS Online!  Then you can use it there or bring it into Pro.  --Joseph K 

LuisOlivieri1
New Contributor III

Great, Joseph!!!!  Thank for the hint.  Something new to try!  🙂

ChrisCatania
Esri Community Team

...and you can check out the ArcGIS Online‌, ArcGIS Maps for Office‌, ArcGIS Maps for Power BI‌ spaces to learn more and ask questions to Esri staff and users. 

Esri Community Strategist