Thank you for joining the GIS Day Live Chat!

10-17-2018 02:52 PM
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

And that's a wrap!

Thank you for joining us today on our first GIS Day Live Chat. Your questions have been great.

And a special thank you to our special guests Joseph Kerski‌, Nicole Minni‌, and Luis Olivieri‌. 

If you would like to post additional questions for our guests, please continue and they will respond to additional questions as they have time. 

We encourage you to continue sharing your GIS Day celebrations by posting your photos and stories on the https://community.esri.com/groups/gis-day/blog/2018/11/01/celebrate-gis-day-2018-share-your-story-on...

GIS Day "We

• 11:00 a.m. - And we're live! Go ahead and ask your questions! 

• 11:15 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question. 

• 11:30 a.m. - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming! 

• 11:45 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question. 

• 11:55 a.m. - Five minutes to go! Got any fun questions for our guests?

• 12:00 p.m. - And that's a wrap! The  LIVE CHAT has ended with our guests.

96 Replies
ChrisCatania
Esri Community Team

Bill - I also encourage you to check out the Esri Technical Certification‌ space where you can ask questions and connect with Esri staff and users. 

Esri Community Strategist
0 Kudos
BILLJENSEN1
New Contributor II

Great, thanks Christopher.

0 Kudos
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

I am thrilled to have with me on the Live Chat, two of my all time favorite people in GIS, Nicole Minni and Luis Olivieri, with me today, from Delaware and New Jersey, respectively.  I have two questions for them.  First, Nicole and Luis, can you describe where you work, your pathway into GIS, and why you are so excited about it?

NicoleMinni
New Contributor III

Hi Joseph, excited to be here! I work at the University of Delaware Institute for Public Administration, Water Resources Center. My pathway to GIS began with my advertising and design background. I love bringing together the design of maps to tell a story.

LuisOlivieri1
New Contributor III

Hey Joseph!  It's a pleasure to be here with Nicole and you.   I don’t think it was a decision.  It was more than a path that took me there.  I don’t remember thinking, I will choose GIS as my career.  I discovered the huge advantage of using GIS as part of the work I was doing and without really noticing, I was hooked on the technology.   GIS was the perfect tool to deal with the data I was using but today, I don’t see myself doing anything different than working with GIS.

I work for a nonprofit working with youth developing in Camden NJ....  Helping young people to reach their dreams.

NicoleMinni
New Contributor III

Luis your work is so important, helping young people reach their dreams. You are very much an inspiration!

SharonJanzen
New Contributor III

For GIS Day we host a competition for the Esri Student Scholarship but this year we've had a poor response. What do you find is the best way to get the word out to students at your institutions about GIS Day festivities?

LuisOlivieri1
New Contributor III

Letting people know about your event is one of the most time consuming part of the event.  I have reached local schools (science teachers love technology) to have them engaged and through them we get students.  

NicoleMinni
New Contributor III

On our » Delaware GIS Day 2018 Delaware GeoEducation  website we open registration to all 5th grade classes in Delaware. The registration usually fills up within one day. We also share on our Delmarva GIS Facebook page and through our DGDC List-serve.

SharonJanzen
New Contributor III

Getting faculty on board is huge for GIS day...especially when they offer classes the same day as the celebrations. All the best and HAPPY GIS DAY!