May 15, 2018: Cartography. MOOC Ask Me Anything (AMA)

04-30-2018 11:14 AM
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

Live Today! AMA Event on GeoNet

Tuesday, May 15, 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. (PDT)

Join our Cartography. MOOC guests here on the GeoNet Community for a LIVE AMA (Ask Me Anything) event. The AMA will take place in this discussion thread on Tuesday, May 15, 2018, from 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. (PDT). 

*Click HERE to convert exact time for different countries.

This is an opportunity to ask our guests questions about the Cartography. MOOC course, about cartography in general, great maps, best practices or anything else that comes to mind. 

AMA Guests 

Ken Field

John Nelson

Wesley Jones

Nathan Shephard

Edie Punt

Craig Williams 

How does the AMA work?
During the AMA, you can post your questions by clicking  the "Add Reply" button below and our guests will reply to your questions in comments. You are welcome to post questions ahead of the AMA and they will answer them during the AMA.

Please note: You must be logged in to post questions and see responses. See instructions 
on How to Log into GeoNet for the AMA

AMA Tips and GeoNet Community Guidelines
    • When asking questions and comments during the AMA, remember to follow the GeoNet Community Guiding PrinciplesBe Helpful, Be Human, Be Smart.
    • This discussion page will not auto-refresh, so please remember to refresh this page to see new questions, comments and replies.       
    •                    

Please note: The AMA will be live when you see a picture of our guests below.          

We are live!

John NelsonWeAMA fun. Ask John Anything!

9:30 a.m. - And we're live! Go ahead and ask your questions!

9:45 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.

10:00 a.m. - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming!

10:15 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.

10:25 a.m. - Five minutes to go! Got any fun questions for our Guests?

10:30 a.m. - And that's a wrap! The live AMA has ended with our wonderful Cartography. MOOC Guests. 

Thank you for your questions and participation. 

The thread has shifted to a time-stamp view. To view the threads in their entirety, you can select the Actions above the right corner of the discussion thread and select View PDF. 

165 Replies
PatrickSeastar
New Contributor III

hi Craig

This does not seem to be a bug. There is just no option to "lock" the settings. I tried it with different versions of ArcGIS Pro (2.0, 2.1) and on different computers. Same problem. There is just no way of "locking the DRA" or i can't find it.

When i choose "Custom".. i still would need to manually define the stats - as exporting the stats from the DRA and loading those into Custom does not work. 

I asked the same question in the MOOC "Imagery at Work" but did not get an answer from the MOOC team back then.

0 Kudos
SallyTinis1
New Contributor

Thanks for asking this question! I had not realized Pro doesn't have the "Custom Settings" to lock imagery display settings. I will also be interested to hear the solution on this one as it's a necessary tool in our Desktop work.

CraigWilliams
Esri Contributor

Custom is available in ArcGIS Pro raster symbology. I think the above post is pointing out an issue with the functionality.

0 Kudos
PatrickSeastar
New Contributor III

Dear Craig. thanks for looking at my question regarding the problem with missing functionality of "locking in a DRA stretch for imagery in Pro".

Yeah there is the Custom setting... but how do i get the "appropriate" stats to put in there. In ArcMap i could just pan to an area and the DRA for that area produced the "Stats" i could than lock in. In ArcGIS Pro this workflow does not work anymore. How to get the stats needed for a good display?

0 Kudos
CraigWilliams
Esri Contributor

I'll pass this on to the raster development team, thank you.

SallyTinis1
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply, Craig. Our workflows are still heavily invested in Desktop, but we're making use of the opportunities to see how we might operate with Pro. Because of very heavy image demand and some network speed issues, we haven't spent much time testing the image handling at this point. I'll make sure to take a look.

ZackaryKing
New Contributor II

Thanks all for putting on a great MOOC!

I really appreciate the videos and discussions. It is interesting to hear the thoughts, ideas and pet peeves of the hosts.

My question for the panel is what are your favorite digital cartographic techniques and what techniques do you find most challenging?

Cheers,

Zack

KenField
Esri Contributor

I actually find 3D challenging because I struggle to find a reason for it. So I need to really think carefully about how to reconcile some of the limits that 3D inevitably has with the benefits it can afford. It's a unique challenge.

EdiePunt
Esri Contributor

In addition to 3D challenges, like Ken has, I find I'm unfamiliar with raster techniques. They are so different from the vector techniques that I am comfortable with, but I know that I am leaving some potential on the table with my maps by not thinking of pixels. 

Edie

PatrickSeastar
New Contributor III

For some maps good/appropriate markers, line and fill styles are super important.

ArcGIS Pro provides an amazing amount of options and functionality to customize and create "your own" styles.

Nevertheless, this can be very time consuming and creating professional styles is not so easy either.

Question:

1. is there a repository with a larger number of professional styles (marker, line, fills) where i can search for and download additional styles into my ArcGIS Pro projects?

2. For a project I need to create "antique" looking maps (its for a city heritage project as well as a historic explorer's diaries from the 1830s in Myanmars Myeik Archipelago project). Ideally that would also work in ArcGIS Online as part of the project are a Map Story Web app as well as a set of story map Web apps.

Are there some good tutorials that explain how to create "old / antique looking maps" or predefined styles i could use (and customize). E.g. i would need some "old paper" backgrounds, some rigged/hand drawn looking lines, etc...