Select to view content in your preferred language

May 15, 2018: Cartography. MOOC Ask Me Anything (AMA)

04-30-2018 11:14 AM
CandaceLoya
Regular Contributor

Live Today! AMA Event on GeoNet

Tuesday, May 15, 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. (PDT)

Join our Cartography. MOOC guests here on the GeoNet Community for a LIVE AMA (Ask Me Anything) event. The AMA will take place in this discussion thread on Tuesday, May 15, 2018, from 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. (PDT). 

*Click HERE to convert exact time for different countries.

This is an opportunity to ask our guests questions about the Cartography. MOOC course, about cartography in general, great maps, best practices or anything else that comes to mind. 

AMA Guests 

Ken Field

John Nelson

Wesley Jones

Nathan Shephard

Edie Punt

Craig Williams 

How does the AMA work?
During the AMA, you can post your questions by clicking  the "Add Reply" button below and our guests will reply to your questions in comments. You are welcome to post questions ahead of the AMA and they will answer them during the AMA.

Please note: You must be logged in to post questions and see responses. See instructions 
on How to Log into GeoNet for the AMA

AMA Tips and GeoNet Community Guidelines
    • When asking questions and comments during the AMA, remember to follow the GeoNet Community Guiding PrinciplesBe Helpful, Be Human, Be Smart.
    • This discussion page will not auto-refresh, so please remember to refresh this page to see new questions, comments and replies.       
    •                    

Please note: The AMA will be live when you see a picture of our guests below.          

We are live!

John NelsonWeAMA fun. Ask John Anything!

9:30 a.m. - And we're live! Go ahead and ask your questions!

9:45 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.

10:00 a.m. - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming!

10:15 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.

10:25 a.m. - Five minutes to go! Got any fun questions for our Guests?

10:30 a.m. - And that's a wrap! The live AMA has ended with our wonderful Cartography. MOOC Guests. 

Thank you for your questions and participation. 

The thread has shifted to a time-stamp view. To view the threads in their entirety, you can select the Actions above the right corner of the discussion thread and select View PDF. 

165 Replies
JohnMNelson
Esri Contributor

I love how cartography is a mix of lots of cool things, live analytics, art, geography. I have a short attention span so I think cartography's generous in-roads has helped me focus.

WarrenDavison
Occasional Contributor

Hello CartoMOOC team,

Big fan of the course so far (when I get the time work through the exercises). I've already learned some things that I wasn't anticipating (scale base symbology melted my brain).

I have a practical question, many of us map makers are required to make some pretty standardized deliverables which don't really immediately fall into the realm of cartographically pleasing (I'm looking atyou ZONING MAPS). I was wondering if there's any tips or suggestions you may have for approaching these bread & butter thematic maps so they done end up looking like a rainbow-fied dogs breakfast?

KaylaResnick
New Contributor II

I'm interested in this too! I can't imagine giving our engineers a map without a clear title, legend, scale, etc.

0 Kudos
WesleyJones1
Esri Contributor

Having worked at county I know what this is like. But there are always ways to improve things, even if slightly. Little layout changes, subtle colour changes. There are always constraints so working within them is important and pushing where you can. At times I would submit the standard one the county wanted and submit one that I thought was an improvement. Presenting them that way slowly got the ball rolling in the right direction.

KaylaResnick
New Contributor II

I like this strategy... Ultimately we are (hopefully) the experts, so it might just be a matter of showing "them" a different way to present the information they are used to.

JohnMNelson
Esri Contributor

Rainbow-filled dogs breakfassssssttttt (to be read in the voice of a drooling Homer Simpson). Sometimes if I was asked to make something pretty standard, I would just go ahead and do something weird and different and see if it stuck. Sometimes it worked! Other times, they deferred to the standard, but then their expectations of standard were pulled in my direction just a little. BWA HA HA HA HAAAA!

ShirleyLeung
New Contributor

I need to geocode a batch of intersection addresses (5000+) that are separated by (&), e.g. 5th Ave & 23rd St.,  can you recommend a locator or any other methods.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
CraigWilliams
Esri Contributor

The ArcGIS Online geocoding supports intersections. For more information, see Geocoding and Place Search | ArcGIS for Developers 

0 Kudos
PatrickSeastar
New Contributor III

hi I enjoy the MOOC Cartography course and i have been using ArcGIS pro for some projects already.

nevertheless there is some functionality that makes it difficult to use for some of my projects. Please try to answer the following question related to styling imagery.

1. In ArcGIS Pro to style satellite imagery (or any other raster data) I can choose DRA (dynamic range).  This is super important, esp. for imagery that contain a lot of clouds and haze. Nevertheless, i can not "lock" a dynamic range. This means, as soon as a pan to a different view extend, the DRA changes. I need a constant stretch for my Imagery to be consistent across multiple map views. 

In ArcMap there is the option "From Custom Settings" but this option does not exist in ArcGIS Pro and the "load statistics from XML / Custom in ArcGIS Pro" does not work for this either. Hope you can help with this problem.

0 Kudos
CraigWilliams
Esri Contributor

Patrick, it sounds like you may be running into a software bug. I recommend contacting support services to have this case evaluated as custom statistics and loading of statistics should be working properly.

0 Kudos