DIY Geo Apps MOOC "Ask Me Anything" Event

09-04-2018 09:37 AM
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you for joining us!

Wednesday, September 19, 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. (PDT)

Join our DIY Geo Apps MOOC guests here on the GeoNet Community for a LIVE AMA (Ask Me Anything) event. The AMA will take place in this discussion thread on Wednesday, September 19, 2018, from 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. (PDT). Click HERE to convert exact time for different countries.

10:00 a.m. You can now ask your question!

10:25 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.

10:30 a.m. - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming!

10:50 a.m. - Ten minutes to go! Got any fun questions for guests?

11:00 a.m. - That's a wrap! See you at the next Ask Me Anything event.

AMA Guests 

John Shramek

Derek Law

John Gravois

Rupert Essinger

Ian Wittenmyer

Sample Questions:

• What are careers in GIS?
  • What is the DIY Geo Apps MOOC?
  • Do you have any pets, etc.?
  • How long have you worked in GIS?
  • What made you choose GIS as a career?

We

How does the AMA work?
During the AMA, you can post your questions by clicking  the "Add Reply" button below and our guests will reply to your questions in comments. You are welcome to post questions ahead of the AMA and they will answer them during the AMA.

Please note: You must be logged in to post questions and see responses. See instructions 
on How to Log into GeoNet for the AMA

AMA Tips and GeoNet Community Guidelines
    • When asking questions and comments during the AMA, remember to follow the GeoNet Community Guiding Principles‌ Be Helpful, Be Human, Be Smart.
    • This discussion page will not auto-refresh, so please remember to refresh this page to see new questions, comments and replies.
71 Replies
MaheshwarPatil1
New Contributor

Is it possible to add images, for example, custom arrows, etc. on a web map? If yes, how to add images to a web map? 

Mahesh P.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for the question, you can use your own images as symbols, if that's what you mean. You will need the image to be able to be referenced with a url, then you'd make a custom symbol from that. If you don't have the image online somewhere, you can upload the image to ArcGIS Online and use it from there: Go to Content, and on the left click Add Item. Choose From My Computer, find the image file, add it, and share it to the public. Then, get the URL using the Copy button on the item details page (all the way down on the right side under URL). Do not get the URL by opening the image and copying that URL.

MaheshwarPatil1
New Contributor

Hi John,

We want to use images on a map as standalone images(and not as symbols), for example - arrows from location 1 to location 2 etc. 

Mahesh 

0 Kudos
ArifKassim1
New Contributor III

What could be the best learning path to become more proficient in Web Apps and Mobile Apps?

JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor

you're definitely on the right track doing this MOOC!

our ArcGIS DevLabs are really concise, useful and to the point as well.

http://developers.arcgis.com/labs 

i'm also a big fan of trawling GeoNET and Stack Overflow to try and answer other people's questions. i think i've learned more trying to answer other people's questions than asking my own.

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Arif,

> What could be the best learning path to become more proficient in Web Apps and Mobile Apps?

I don't think there is a single "best" learning path, as people are different and have different skill sets to begin with. Also, it depends on what you want to learn exactly. Do you want to learn more about web and mobile apps in general? Are you interested in development work for these types of apps? Did you have a specific business workflow you want to support with the apps?

I suggest starting here to learn about the ArcGIS Apps, Apps for Everyone so you can get an overview of the various ArcGIS apps available.

To learn more about the "web apps", this video might be a good place to start,

Building Great Information Products with ArcGIS Online - YouTube 

To learn more about the "mobile apps", start with this video,

ArcGIS Apps for the Field: An Introduction - YouTube 

There are also many great training resources available online at the Esri Training site, https://www.esri.com/training/ and Learn ArcGIS.

Hope this helps,

RobertoTantari
New Contributor II

good morning,

i'd like to enquire about my app, it hasn't shared with everyone yet? it's still in DIY group

below there's the link:

https://diygeoapps2.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapTour/index.html?appid=4df06614a1b448eb9836632c22dd7ac7

best regards

Roberto

RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Roberto.

Would you like to share your Story Map Tour publicly so we can have a look (assuming it is something you are OK sharing)?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Roberto, I have a login for the diygeoapps2 org so I can view it, but you need to share it to Everyone(public) for everyone else to see it.

0 Kudos
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Roberto,

Can you elaborate your question with a little more detail? We are able to view it now.

0 Kudos