Anyone having trouble with opening redistricting 'plans' from the ArcMap Extension?

Jump to solution
07-14-2021 12:51 PM
AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

I'm wondering if anybody else is experiencing problems with opening existing plans using this extension. When I try to browse to a 'Plan database', the database is not available  (see screenshot below). I'm experiencing this on two machines: one has ArcMap 10.3.1 and the other has 10.7.1. I installed the appropriate version for each ArcMap version using the installers on this page.  I've enabled the extension (you cannot browse to the dialog box below if you don't enable the extension). Additionally, I cannot browse to plan in ArcCatalog as shown on the page I mentioned earlier. When I navigate to plan to the mdb database that I created previously, it shows what is displayed in the second screenshot below.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension with full reboots of the computer. No luck. Any suggestions?  Thanks!

AZendel_1-1626292213224.png

=================================

AZendel_2-1626292213281.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AZendel

I just found a solution to this problem in this post. But that post may be a bit outdated. Here's what I did with ArcMap 10.7.1 on Windows 10:

1) Navigate to C:\Users\(your_user_name)\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.7\ArcCatalog

2) I renamed the file named GxDBFactCache.dat to GxDBFactCache_OLD.dat and the file named GxObjFactCache.dat to GxObjFactCacheOLD.dat. Deleting the original files would probably work too, but I get a bit queasy then messing with system files like this. I like having a back up to restore the state it was in before. 

3) When you reopen ArcMap (and probably ArcCatalog), ArcGIS will create new GxDBFactCache.dat and GxObjFactCache.dat. When I browse to the plan database, it shows up in both ArcMap and ArcCatalog

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AZendel

I just found a solution to this problem in this post. But that post may be a bit outdated. Here's what I did with ArcMap 10.7.1 on Windows 10:

1) Navigate to C:\Users\(your_user_name)\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.7\ArcCatalog

2) I renamed the file named GxDBFactCache.dat to GxDBFactCache_OLD.dat and the file named GxObjFactCache.dat to GxObjFactCacheOLD.dat. Deleting the original files would probably work too, but I get a bit queasy then messing with system files like this. I like having a back up to restore the state it was in before. 

3) When you reopen ArcMap (and probably ArcCatalog), ArcGIS will create new GxDBFactCache.dat and GxObjFactCache.dat. When I browse to the plan database, it shows up in both ArcMap and ArcCatalog

JPNW
by
New Contributor II

I deleted the two files rather than copying but this worked for me as well. Thank you!

0 Kudos
AZendel

Thanks for taking the time to inform me that my follow up was worthwhile. 

ScottWeisman
New Contributor II

Do you know if you can use the the Living Atlas data just released for Census data? in this extension.

0 Kudos
AZendel

Yes, you should be able to use that Living Atlas Data, but I image that you'll have to download it as a shapefile or file geodatabase first. I doubt that the Redistricting Add-in is capable of directly reading data from any type of web service since it looks like ESRI hasn't updated it much since 2010. 

CarmenDurham
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

0 Kudos
BriannaDavison
New Contributor II

Yes, I was having the same issue. I'm happy there was an easy solution. Thank you!

0 Kudos