Select to view content in your preferred language

Charlie Fitzpatrick: Trails Blazed, Trails Yet to Discover

2 weeks ago
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
17 10 1,356

I have had the honor of working with many amazing people over the years.  When I consider the trailblazers who have made a positive impact on spatial thinking through GIS technologies in education, one person who I think of is my colleague, Charlie Fitzpatrick.   As Charlie departs Esri after 32 years of service in July 2024 for his own trails, I wish to acknowledge his legacy and salute you, the community whom he has influenced, for the enduring work that you all are doing.

20221014_180112426_iOS.jpg

Here I am at a geography education conference with Kylie Donia (center), and Charlie Fitzpatrick (right).  I traveled with Charlie to probably more than 100 events over the years, beginning with a 1994 Colorado Geographic Alliance institute and a 1998 intensive two-week professional development GIS institute for educators at Texas State University.

I met Charlie soon after he became Manager of the Esri schools program.  As one of two founding members of the Esri education team in 1992, Charlie became one of the most knowledgeable and respected people in the world in the integration of geographic technologies and spatial thinking in geography teaching and learning.  Charlie holds a master's degree in geography from the University of Minnesota, was a practicing full time geography teacher in middle and high school for over 15 years before joining Esri, and served in leadership roles in the National Council for Geographic Education.  Charlie really understands education—the challenges, the struggles, the rewards. He has always been ready to help, listen, and share.  One of my best memories of working with Charlie was when he invited me to work for a week with him and three students at a high school in San Bernardino, preparing them to present their work to thousands of people at the Esri User Conference.  Charlie didn’t just help them with their GIS projects; he got to know them and gave them confidence so that they believed in themselves.  Charlie has done this thousands of times; and in so doing, inspired thousands of educators, hundreds of projects, and tens of thousands of students.

Charlie was instrumental in the committee to create the revision for the Geography for Life standards effort, and led the effort to bring geospatial technologies to the White House STEM ConnectEd initiative in 2014, which made ArcGIS tools freely available to all K-12 public, private, and home schools in the USA.  He was a champion of many immersive professional development institutes for educators, from Texas State University in the 1990s to the T3G institutes from 2009-2019. 

Chances are, many of you reading this have attended one of Charlie’s presentations.  Charlie embodies the lifelong learner, seeking new ways of teaching and learning and always being curious.  Countless students have gone into meaningful careers because of his inspiration and countless educators have had their energies and hopes renewed because of him.  Charlie made learning relevant, fun, and also gave all of us permission to be a little geeky.  He has been an advocate of hands-on learning experiences with animated, challenging, respectful instruction.  Charlie was immersed in STEM education long before the term “STEM” even existed.  He brought geo-related content knowledge, perspectives, and skills to other disciplines, and to educational policymakers. 

Even more importantly, Charlie is sincere, honest, and has integrity.  Charlie truly cares about the planet, and about people.  Charlie’s typical statement was “it was a team effort”, but all teams need a leader, and I am thankful that I have been able to work with one of those leaders.  There are not many people as well respected, and well loved, as Charlie Fitzpatrick.   My sincere and heartfelt best wishes to you, Charlie, and wish you happy new trails.  To the community that Charlie has influenced, my teammates are here to support you, and we salute the innovative and impactful work that you are doing and will continue doing in the future.

10 Comments
BrianBaldwin
Esri Regular Contributor

Awesome write up Joseph - a really nice ode to someone who has dedicated so much time and attention to this community!

Thanks for everything Charlie!

JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

Charlie, through your passion for GIS, your dedication to education, and your commitment to helping others succeed you set a high bar the rest of us are well-served to learn from. Thanks for everything and best wishes as you embark on this new chapter! 

JudithBock
New Contributor II

So eloquently said, Joseph!  Charlie literally change the course of my career, introducing me to the world of geo-tech when we were still using laser disks and CD-ROMs to teach geographic concepts.  But more than that, he was one  who inspired and empowered me to do more, to reach out to teachers, and students, to to my best to help others learn early geo-technologies and then GIS in the classroom.  He, like so many of you on the Esri Education team, is one of a kind!  I wish him all the best in his next life adventures.

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
Thanks Judy - you are one of those trailblazers ! Thanks for reading and reflecting. Joseph
ErikaKlose
New Contributor II

Thank you, JK for sharing this tribute to Charlie! Like Judy said, Charlie literally changed the course of my career. Charlie, you, and Tom, have been such a constant in my life and the work that I did with GIS in the classroom gave me a platform to get all over WV. I have no doubt as to the power of GIS in my own career (both of them!). Charlie, literally, is woven through the last 14 years of my life! I treasure all our chats that gave me clarity with so many projects! Charlie is a gift! 

StevenMoore3
New Contributor

Well said, Joseph, and thanks, Charlie!

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks Steven for reading and responding!--Joseph 

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Thank you also @ErikaKlose  for your wonderful reflections. --Joseph Kerski

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
Thanks so much for reading and responding.
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor
Thanks and indeed… Thanks for reading and responding. Joseph 🌲🌎
About the Author
I believe that spatial thinking can transform education and society through the application of Geographic Information Systems for instruction, research, administration, and policy. I hold 3 degrees in Geography, have served at NOAA, the US Census Bureau, and USGS as a cartographer and geographer, and teach a variety of F2F (Face to Face) (including T3G) and online courses. I have authored a variety of books and textbooks about the environment, STEM, GIS, and education. These include "Interpreting Our World", "Essentials of the Environment", "Tribal GIS", "The GIS Guide to Public Domain Data", "International Perspectives on Teaching and Learning with GIS In Secondary Education", "Spatial Mathematics" and others. I write for 2 blogs, 2 monthly podcasts, and a variety of journals, and have created over 5,000 videos on the Our Earth YouTube channel. Yet, as time passes, the more I realize my own limitations and that this is a lifelong learning endeavor and thus I actively seek mentors and collaborators.