Select to view content in your preferred language

Celebrate the 25th Anniversary of GIS Day This Year

09-03-2024 12:06 PM
RosemaryBoone
Esri Regular Contributor
3 5 2,225

On November 20, 2024, the world will come together to celebrate the 25th anniversary of GIS Day, an international event that highlights the power of geographic information system (GIS) technology.

Founded by Esri’s president, Jack Dangermond, in 1999, GIS Day has become a significant opportunity for mapping enthusiasts, educators, and geospatial technology scientists alike to share their meaningful work. As Dangermond puts it, "The challenges we face—from sustainable urban planning at the local level, to protecting ocean health on a global scale—are all geographic in nature."

This year's theme, "Mapping Minds, Shaping the World," underscores the collaborative nature of GIS and highlights the incredible potential of individuals, organizations, and communities uniting to harness spatial data for positive change. With over 4,000 events planned worldwide, the day will feature a rich array of webinars, presentations, workshops, blogs, and social media content designed to showcase the latest innovations in GIS.

Your involvement is key to our collective effort in demonstrating the power of GIS. By working together, we can showcase how spatial data creates meaningful impacts across diverse sectors.

Prepare for GIS Day

GIS Day Website. Familiarize yourself with the GIS Day website and share with others. On the website you can access resources, videos, stories, and register your own GIS Day event.

Host an Event. Celebrate GIS Day by hosting an event. Volunteer to give a guest presentation at your local school or library, host a webinar, write a blog post, create a social post, or publish an interactive story.

Register Your GIS Day Event. Visit this webpage to register your GIS Day event. Your registration includes access to ArcGIS for Personal Use software, GIS Day digital swag, and GIS Day event support.

GIS Day Media Kit. This GIS Day media kit includes posters, stickers, customizable GIS Day certificate and flyer, social media images, eCard, and more. 

GIS Day 2024 Forum. Join in the conversation on the GIS Day Forum in Esri Community. This forum was designed to ask questions, share ideas, troubleshoot, and engage with others on all things GIS Day. 

GIS Day Social Media Accounts. Follow, comment, tag, and/or repost from the following GIS Day social media accounts on Facebook and X (formerly Twitter). 

Build Your GIS Skills. On Esri Academy, browse the course catalog for a topic you’re interested in. If you’re new to GIS, the GIS Fundamentals learning plan is a great place to start.

GIS Day Event Ideas and Inspiration

If you're unsure of what to do for GIS Day, use these resources to inspire you:

gis24-1200x678-1.jpg

Tags (1)
5 Comments
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

I will be at Texas State University this year for GIS Day, and conducting my annual GIS Day live webinar!  Happy GIS Day, everyone!  Thanks @RosemaryBoone  ! 

--Joseph Kerski 

Esdspain57
Occasional Contributor

@RosemaryBoone, I was wondering, with all the Esri offices nationwide and around the world, why Esri doesn't just sponsor but host GIS Day events at their regional/local sites as well? Think of it as mini-UC at each Esri office. This would allow those who couldn't attend the big annual UC each year, to come to their local Esri office, see what's happening locally and maybe pick up a button or some swag. Think of the networking and potential sales opportunities; and what better place to see where else to see what's going on in their local GIS communities than at our local Esri offices! Makes sense to me. 😁🙂

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, it makes total sense @RosemaryBoone !  I know some offices do this.  We are having an open house in the Denver office this month (September) which doubles as our GIS Day outreach to government, nonprofit, industry, and academia, and I encourage others to do the same.  Also to those outside Esri, realize that you don't actually have to hold your event ON GIS Day.  GIS Day makes it a bit more fun and connected to the wider global events happening, but if another day works better for you, by all means go for it.  --Joseph Kerski 

Esdspain57
Occasional Contributor

Thank you @JosephKerski for you for the reply on GIS Day. I also like the open-house concept you mentioned regarding the Denver office.  To increase the momentum, perhaps an email blast from the different offices to their customers is an option, but also I'd like to see the Federal GIS community coordinate to help push the GIS Day concept with a huge display on the National Mall, just like the Library of Congress book fair, or even the Smithsonian folk do with the big science fair. And to address the non-GID Day on GIS Day - call it Sans-GIS Day - on other than the official GIS Day, day, that's an option, too. 🤔  Btw, @JosephKerski, love your Tweets! Geography rules!!

@RosemaryBoone, please keep us posted! Thank you both, and thanks again! 

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Many thanks @Esdspain57 !   I love your nudge to "think big".   The largest general public event that I know of is the one in France:  https://www.citeco.fr/en/24th-international-geography-festival    The largest professional geographic society events that I know of are the Esri UC and the IGU, and ICA.    But yes along your Smithsonian and LOC encouragement, our team does work with libraries and museums.  --Joseph Kerski