Removing internal boundaries for 10697 buffered points

Jump to solution
05-17-2017 04:30 AM
DataOfficer
Occasional Contributor III

Hi, 

I have buffered 10697 species records by 30km and want to remove all internal boundaries, i.e. turn 10697 polygons into a single one. I thought the Dissolve tool would be my best bet but, perhaps not surprising, the tool is taking unfeasibly long to run. It's been at 8% for more than an hour now, and my hopes of it running successfully are diminishing with each minute. 

Are there any other tools that would remove internal boundaries and return a single polygon that may run faster than Dissolve? Would Eliminate effectively do the same thing? I'm not interested in maintaining any of the attribute values, I'm just interested in the dimensions of the shapefile itself. 

Alternatively, perhaps I should reduce the number of points before adding the buffer in the first place. If I ran the 'Create Random Points' tool, used 30km as the Minimum Allowed Distance and then added a 30km buffer to all remaining points, would I end up with the same total area covered by the resulting polygons? 

I attach screenshots of the 30km buffers and the underlying 10697 points. I am using ArcGIS Pro 1.4 with Spatial Analyst extension. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherMcClain
Occasional Contributor II

I think you can accomplish what you are trying to do within the buffer tool itself without any additional steps.  Take a look at the Dissolve Type at the bottom of the tool.  This should do the dissolve you are looking to do but might be able to process it faster.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChristopherMcClain
Occasional Contributor II

I think you can accomplish what you are trying to do within the buffer tool itself without any additional steps.  Take a look at the Dissolve Type at the bottom of the tool.  This should do the dissolve you are looking to do but might be able to process it faster.

FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

If cmcclain‌'s solution does not work, you could either dissolve the polygons on a field with mutual attribute value, or start an edit session and select all the polygons to merge into a single feature.

DataOfficer
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks both - Christopher's suggestion worked!

0 Kudos