My XY coordinate points are not appearing where they should be, and in fewer numbers than original data.

Jump to solution
01-19-2017 09:58 AM
AllisonDavis
New Contributor
I have recently installed ArcMap 10.4.1 in order to create a map of depth for some fishing ponds on a local refuge. I have an excel sheet of depths corresponding to exact coordinates. These coordinates were originally in DMS but I used the formula below to convert them into decimal degrees, taking into account a negative for western coordinates (the coordinates originate in Southwestern Louisiana). 
degree + min/60 + sec/60 = DD
When I imported this data into ArcMap, it only displayed 2 points and the points were placed in the Gulf of Guinea near Africa. Upon further inspection of the attribute table, all of my X coordinates were transformed into 0, even though the initial values were not all the same. I thought it might be a projection issue, but I'm not sure which combination would match my base layer (basic satellite) and xy points. 
I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing incorrectly, so if there is a possible solution to this, whether within excel before importing or within ArcMap, I would greatly appreciate any assistance.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Add Geometry Attributes—Help | ArcGIS Desktop will get the coordinates in, then you can add a Z field to the table and put your values in.  I assume you know how to add a field and assign values to the records.

AllisonDavis
New Contributor

This worked, thank you so much!!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

moved to https://community.esri.com/community/gis/managing-data?sr=search&searchId=b0cde7a4-fb56-4896-81f0-4e...‌... you might want to mark this answered or assumed answer to close the thread Allison

0 Kudos