issue with borders at different scales of mosaic dataset

04-26-2018 12:42 PM
bobcostanza
New Contributor II

Hi,

I mosaiced scanned slides/photographs by creating a mosaic data set within a file geodatabase. Besides the result looking pretty ugly, my most pressing problem is that the borders show up or go away depending on the scale.  See Doc1.docx

Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

image settings the same in both? (ie stretch, clip and others in the symbology pane)

Did you explore the image values to see if they have changed?

0 Kudos
bobcostanza
New Contributor II

At this point I am working on the mosaic of rectified images with the scale issue: showing borders at 1:40k and not 1:24K.  I recreated the mosaic and this time around the inner borders won't to away at any scale. I've played with all the tools, such as calculate stats, build footprints, build boundary, build overviews. If it matters, the method I have  used to rid the images of borders is by setting the minimum data value in Build Footprints at 75, if I recall correctly.  Also, I get a black mask over the entire mosaic unless I select Percent Clip in Symblology.

Thanks

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You would probably get a better response if you edit the title to a more descriptive one.

Linking your post to Imagery and Remote Sensing

bobcostanza
New Contributor II

Tried it

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Given your imagery doesn't have specific NoData values (you said you cut off the values from 0-75 using stretches) it sounds like to get this to work you need to create and edit polygon footprints to get rid of the collars. Then rebuild pyramids and overviews.

Mosaic dataset footprints—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
bobcostanza
New Contributor II

I created footprints which is why the borders disappear when zoomed in.

However, the borders reappear at the scale I want to export the map at.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

It sounds like you have already tried building the overlays, which does usually help if with strange behavior at different scales (ie sometime checkerboard patterns, etc).  If you haven’t already looked at these links, they may offer some solutions

How To: Remove black or white borders from rasters in a mosaic dataset 

Workflow to clip borders, compress, geo-reference, mosaic aerial photos? 

mosaic of geotiffs and remove borders 

Edit: a few more link.  I know that the check board isn’t your issue, but the solution may be similar...so not ruling out.

How to fix the checkerboard pattern in Mosaic Datasets      This fix is if the path changed, ie broken links to source files

https://community.esri.com/thread/189456-build-overviews-for-a-mosaic-generates-blackwhile-tiles 

——-

On another note, as Curtis suggested, it would help others find your question...and help others in the future... if you could edit your title with a short description,such as “issue with borders at different scales of mosaic dataset” or something similar.  If you are not sure how to edit the title, one of the moderators would be able to help.

0 Kudos
bobcostanza
New Contributor II

Thanks for the help, I have tried your suggestions, the links, to no avail.  It looks like it will be easier and of higher quality to photograph a photograph of the entire area thus eliminating the need to mosaic.

By the way, my "anyone" subject worked--I received replies! I know it was bit obnoxious.

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have found mosaic datasets to be terribly finicky and my understanding is that they do work pretty well but require a lot of messing with to get them to work right. If you have access to tech support hopefully they can help you with your specific datasets. Sorry I couldn't be more help.