ArcGIS Diagrammer 10.3

Jump to solution
12-11-2014 06:53 AM
MichaelGayheart1
New Contributor III

Richie Carmichael

We utilize ArcGIS Diagrammer to maintain all of our GDB designs. After upgrading to 10.3, we can't open ArcGIS Diagrammer. An update supporting 10.3 would be greatly appreciated!

35 Replies
RichieCarmichael
Esri Contributor

No problem Todd. Glad that we were able to find a solution.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

being able to document and diagram a geodatabase is a pretty important part of a Geodatabase design and administration work flow. What are ESRI's plans to support that in light of the retirement of the diagrammer tool?

TrevorHart2
New Contributor III

Did anyone at Esri happen to notice that Crainiate ERM components are now open source? http://opendiagram.codeplex.com/

http://opendiagram.codeplex.com/

We really need this tool to be updated!

0 Kudos
RichieCarmichael
Esri Contributor

Hi Trevor,

Yes, we were aware that Crainiate's ERM Diagram, the technology used by ArcGIS Diagrammer, went open source a few years ago. While open diagram appears almost identical to ERM Diagram it is lacking some or all layout classes.  But more importantly, open diagram is no longer maintained or supported.

Just prior to last year's user conference, Jack Dangermond made the following comment with respect to Esri's support for CASE tools:

ArcGIS will continue to support CASE tools through the ArcGIS 10.3 release. However, CASE tools may not be shipped with future releases of ArcGIS that follow 10.3. For users interested in geodatabase design with UML, we recommend using Sparx Systems’ Enterprise Architect as it offers many advantages over the CASE tools functionality.

UC Q&A | 2014 Esri User Conference

As such, I would encourage you to evaluate Enterprise Architect for your design efforts.

0 Kudos
TrevorHart2
New Contributor III

Thanks Richie, that’s a shame about your tool as it really has been very helpful in our data modelling efforts over the years.

We do have and have used EA for data modelling but have found your tool provides a better workflow. We also have a number of current projects relying on Diagrammer for data modelling.

BTW I have found by dropping in the following 10.2 DLL’s from the .Net Developers Kit into the Diagrammer BIN directory that I can get it working on a machine that has 10.3 installed. So problem solved for the short term.

• ESRI.ArcGIS.Carto.dll
  • ESRI.ArcGIS.Catalog.dll
  • ESRI.ArcGIS.CatalogUI.dll
  • ESRI.ArcGIS.DataSourcesGDB.dll
  • ESRI.ArcGIS.Display.dll
  • ESRI.ArcGIS.ExceptionHandler.dll (Included in the Diagrammer install)
  • ESRI.ArcGIS.Geodatabase.dll
  • ESRI.ArcGIS.GeoDatabaseDistributed.dll
  • ESRI.ArcGIS.GeoDatabaseExtensions.dll
  • ESRI.ArcGIS.Geometry.dll
  • ESRI.ArcGIS.Output.dll
  • ESRI.ArcGIS.System.dll
  • ESRI.ArcGIS.Version.dll

Regards

Trevor

dkav
by
Occasional Contributor

I can confirm that Trevor's solution works for 10.2.2.

Two comments:

• The SDK required Developer Studio 2010 or 2012 preinstalled
  • ESRI.ArcGIS.ExceptionHandler.dll was already present in the bin folder

Thanks,

Darren

TrevorHart2
New Contributor III

Thanks Darren.

0 Kudos
RichieCarmichael
Esri Contributor

Trevor HartDarren Kavanagh

The source for ArcGIS Diagrammer has been published to github.  Message me your ids if you would like to be a contributor.

richiecarmichael/arcgis-diagrammer · GitHub

dkav
by
Occasional Contributor

Richie Carmichael

I haven't worked in C# before but I am happy to test.

Darren

0 Kudos
CharlesFried
New Contributor III

the esri.arcgis.geodatabaseextensions.dll and geodatabasedistributed.dll are not in the SDK directory.  Could those be from an earlier release of the SDK?  Version 9.x?  I can't find them.  And Diagrammer fails looking for them.  Anyone have any ideas where those might be found?

0 Kudos