Is Data Loading Tools compatible with Pro 2.8.3?

09-15-2021 01:46 PM
MichaelStranovsky
Occasional Contributor

After installing 2.8.3 and reinstalling DLTSolutions 2.7.1, the solution no longer works.   Is there a plan to make it compatible and if so when?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
TedHoward2
Esri Contributor

We discovered an issue with the python environment in 2.8 after installing Data Loading tools. The pandas package can no longer be imported properly which breaks the tool package. We plan to push a new build of the Data Loading tools package shortly to correct this. I am not sure if this will fix your problem though. Could you provide some details on the error you are seeing?

0 Kudos
DETCOG_GIS
New Contributor II

I am seeing the same error messages as MichaelStranovsky posted when I open ArcPro 2.8.3 with dltsolutions v 2.7.1 installed. 

If it helps diagnose the issue though, when I instead have dltsolutions v 2.7.0 installed, I am able to open the project normally, and the Data Loading Tools toolbox shows up in the Geoprocessing pane.  However, when I try and open any of the tools from that toolbox, I get an error message, "Tool has failed to open".

Upon opening a project, the first DLT Tool I try opening has the following details for the error.

DETCOG_GIS_0-1631798847466.png

DETCOG_GIS_1-1631798867758.png

If I then close that tool and open a different tool from DLT toolbox, I also get "Tool has failed to open", but it has different details.

DETCOG_GIS_4-1631798956669.png

The different error messages appear in that order, regardless of which DLT tool is opened first and second.

This was not an issue prior to upgrading to ArcPro 2.8.3.  And I'm almost positive I was on the immediate prior version, which I assume was 2.8.2, but I know I was at least on 2.8.1 with it working (though there were issues with that upgrade and DLTSolutions as well - see Esri Case #02839421 for details on that, which ended up being a Conda issue rather than a DLTSolutions issue).

0 Kudos
MichaelStranovsky
Occasional Contributor

MichaelStranovsky_0-1631795626300.pngMichaelStranovsky_1-1631795657343.png

This is what is happening after starting up ArcGIS Pro

0 Kudos
TedHoward2
Esri Contributor

Yes same problem. It has to do with the latest pandas package being incompatible with the python environment that ships with Pro 2.8. To resolve please try installing the latest build of Data Loading tools from the esri conda channel. A new build became available yesterday. 

0 Kudos
DETCOG_GIS
New Contributor II

Just wondering, what version is the new one and how do you get access to it.  When I go to the package manager, all it lists are 2.7.0 & 2.7.1, which both have issues (though the errors show differently, as noted in my comment above).  

DETCOG_GIS_0-1631800005171.png

0 Kudos
TedHoward2
Esri Contributor

If you are attempting to install via the python backstage in Pro is will still be version 2.7.1. Again this is a conda issue so only the build number for the package has been incremented. The important part here is that pandas cannot be on version 1.3 or higher in your environment.

TedHoward2_0-1631801121787.png

0 Kudos
TedHoward2
Esri Contributor

Likely the more reliable option is to install using conda and the python command prompt.

To install the toolbox using the Python Package Manager, complete the following steps:

1. In the Windows Start menu, browse to the ArcGIS folder.
  2. Click the drop-down arrow next to ArcGIS and click Python Command Prompt to open the window.
  3. Verify that the first line of code displays the name of your cloned environment before continuing.
  4. Once confirmed, type conda install -c esri dltsolutions and press Enter.
  5. When the installation is complete, close the Python Command Prompt and start ArcGIS Pro to confirm that the Data Loading Tools toolbox has been added.
0 Kudos
MichaelStranovsky
Occasional Contributor

I have installed it through the python command prompt and I get the same issue.   Panda 1.3.2 is installed.  Should I try downgrading that?   If so, what is the best way to do that?

0 Kudos
TedHoward2
Esri Contributor

Hmm not sure why conda wasn't grabbing the latest build. I changed a label to force it to the new build and it should be working now. When you install from the python command prompt you should see the following:

TedHoward2_0-1631802952686.png

Or if installing onto a fresh clone I would expect to see this:

TedHoward2_1-1631803331926.png

I believe installing via the python backstage in Pro should be working now as well. Sorry for the confusion.