ArcPad: Addition of a new field that edits in ArcMap but not on my mobile GPS unit

2351
4
Jump to solution
10-10-2014 10:51 AM
DevKopp
New Contributor

I have been using ArcPad for a number of years.  I utilize geodatabases and the check-in/check-out tool that ArcPad has within ArcMap. I have been fine and dandy, until I added two fields I want to edit in the field.  These two fields are text fields, with 350 characters.  I use ArcPad 10.2

So my issue:

I have added two new fields into my shapefile (within the geodatabase), they are editable within ArcMap.  However, when I check-out the data, both of these fields will not allow me to edit them on my mobile GPS unit (a Trimble Juno).  I am able to write text into them, but then when I press "ok", those edits are not saved.

I have re-exported the data, and checked-out multiple times, thinking it was just an ArcMap "moment", but that was unsuccessful.  In addition, I have also made sure that within the properties of the geodatabase that the field is in fact editable.

If anyone has solutions or a method I could trouble shoot this, it would be appreciated. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MosquitoGIS
Occasional Contributor

I don't use the check in/check out tool, and actually use another third party tool to, so if it is a process with that, I won't know about it.

However, I have found that weird things like that can happen based on field names and field properties.  Most of them have been actually based on the names of the fields.  Try recreating or renaming the fields to something that has less then 10 characters and make sure there are no spaces, punctuation, or symbols in them and see if that helps.  What are the current names of your fields?

You said above that the properties are Text fields and 350 Characters.   I have heard of people having issues with fields over 254 characters as well, so you might limit and experiment with that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MosquitoGIS
Occasional Contributor

I don't use the check in/check out tool, and actually use another third party tool to, so if it is a process with that, I won't know about it.

However, I have found that weird things like that can happen based on field names and field properties.  Most of them have been actually based on the names of the fields.  Try recreating or renaming the fields to something that has less then 10 characters and make sure there are no spaces, punctuation, or symbols in them and see if that helps.  What are the current names of your fields?

You said above that the properties are Text fields and 350 Characters.   I have heard of people having issues with fields over 254 characters as well, so you might limit and experiment with that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
DevKopp
New Contributor

So this was what the issue was.  I added a new field with a name that was 10 characters, and with 250 characters of text I can fill in.  This works perfectly on the my mobile GPS units.

Thanks for the information, and now I can add this to my GIS/GPS notes for future folks.

0 Kudos
MosquitoGIS
Occasional Contributor

Glad to hear it was working and that I was able to help! 

0 Kudos
MosquitoGIS
Occasional Contributor

Here is another thread that may be related to your issue.  It is on the side of having too many characters in a field.

ArcPad 'memo' field

0 Kudos