Select to view content in your preferred language

How to add Bing maps to Basemap Gallery widget?

09-10-2014 03:32 PM
AdamInglis
Deactivated User

I'm able to get Bing maps to show up in Flex versions of my webmaps,  and I can use Bing as a base map in Web AppBuilder apps, but I haven't figured out anyway to add the Bing map collection to the basemap gallery wideget.   Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Adam

Tags (2)
14 Replies
CoyPotts1
Deactivated User

One thing I didn't understand was that when you create a web map and add the Bing basemap to the map, the other default Esri basemaps will still show up in the basemap gallery widget of the custom application.

To get the Bing basemap into your map, the below workflow worked for me:

• Open feature layer in Map Viewer
  • Click "Add" drop down > Click "Add Layer from Web" > Click drop down > Select "A Bing Basemap"
  • Select your desired Bing basemap > Click "ADD LAYER"
  • Save the web map
  • Share the web map using a custom application template that has the basemap gallery widget enabled

The application will open up with the chosen Bing maps basemap as the default, but opening the basemap gallery will show all of the other Esri default basemaps as well. 

The image below is a snippet from one of my custom applications.  The hybrid Bing map is shown at the bottom, but all of the other default maps are still there as well. 

And as Robert mentioned, step 11 in the link provided above is how you enable this functionality.  I hope that helps. 

0 Kudos
VeronicaAnderson2
Deactivated User

The original question is not how to get Bing into your basemaps gallery, but how to get that basemaps gallery in to the WebApp Builder widget for changing the basemap. I still don't know how to put Bing into my APP other than to add it to my map, which forces the app to recognize it and add it to the basemap widget, and then to add the actual basemap I want to see first as a layer on top of it.

I have several other basemaps available when creating a map (shown below) but they do not show up in the basemap widget (shown above).

I'm pretty sure this is the same as the original issue that adaminglis was referring to.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Veronica,

Once I follow that article step by step and then add the basemap gallery to my add then the Bing map I added to my orgs basemap group is available in WAB apps as seen in the attached image:

VeronicaAnderson2
Deactivated User

Robert!

All I had to do was remove the widget and add it again to my app! Now all the basemaps in my basemap gallery show up in the widget. What a rookie mistake. I guess I learned my lesson. Thanks so much for your help.

Cheers,

V

CoyPotts1
Deactivated User

Sorry I misunderstood the original question.  And you gotta love those types of mistakes

0 Kudos