ArcGIS Pro 2.5: Utility network appears not to have tools to display flow arrows and set flow direction,

06-14-2020 12:05 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.5: Utility network appears not to have tools to display flow arrows and set flow direction,

It would be great if the “display flow arrows” and “set flow direction” get available

ArcGIS Pro 2.5: How to display flow arrows and set flow direction in the utility network,

22 Comments
KoryKramer

Jamal - coming soon in ArcGIS Pro 2.6 will be trace networks, which provide a way to directly convert a geometric network into a network that can be used in ArcGIS Pro.  Primary use cases are for rail and water; it appears from your screenshots that you're working with water.

Built in to the ribbon will be Display Flow Direction:

Which will generate the flow arrows you're looking for.

There is also a Set Flow Direction geoprocessing tool that can be added to the ribbon, so I think in Pro 2.6 you will have what you're looking for.

Hope this helps!

JamalNUMAN

Many thanks Kory. That would be great.

Do you have a simple network sample that you can share with us at which the flow is configured? I mean one can trace the upstream and downstream?

KoryKramer

I think you should be able to use the geometric network from Water Distribution Network | ArcGIS Solutions for Water Again, this is Pro 2.6, so you would need to be working with the beta to test the functionality.

MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah

Dear Kory,

I tried the Arcgis pro 2.6.0 beta, and found out the this option is not available, please have a look below:

But if I go to option, I can find the ribbon, but how to display it on the main screen, why it is not appearing by default despite it is checked!!

Best

Majdoleen

lubnajarara_ah

Dear Kory,

Thank you for your input, I notice that to make the “Display Flow Direction” active, I need to build a trace network despite the fact I already have a utility network, which not make sence to me!

To build a trace network, I need to build a dataset that contains the edge and junction feature classes which are already created in the utility network, so I copy them and that make a duplication!

Is this the best practice to do that

Best,

Lubna

KoryKramer

Correct.  I did say that this will be available for Trace Networks in ArcGIS Pro 2.6.  So if working with a Trace Network, you'll have what you need.  But the idea requests this for Utility Network, which is why the idea is marked as Reviewed and not (yet?) in product plan.

JamalNUMAN

Hi Kory,

Right. The idea for utility network.

Is this planned for enhancement in the upcoming release? 2.7?

Kory Kramer

Paul LeBlanc

JamalNUMAN

is this planned in 2.8? this is a very baisc property

DavidCrawford

I apologize, but this is not planned as part of 2.8.  And I'm not sure when exactly we will incorporate displaying flow direction in the Utility Network.  It's not as basic a property as you might assume.  

The Geometric Network maintained flow direction as an attribute (internally) for every edge in the network.  The Utility Network derives flow direction on the fly, based on the locations of sources and sinks. 

We have plans in the future to embed this information back into the network index, at which point, we could enable the display of flow direction. However, there are no immediate plans to support this.  Keep in mind - returning flow direction arrows for all the data in your network, from a service, is not the smallest operation in the world.  And we wouldn't want to implement such a feature which immediately causes significant performance issues.  [GN was all direct-connect - so that was a bit easier to handle]

JamalNUMAN

Thank you David for the input.

This functionality would provide much more sense as it displays the flow direction. It has been there in ArcMap for years and years and I was happy with it!

If it’s there then it’s optional for those who don’t like to use it due to performance issues