Select to view content in your preferred language

Metrics -- Importing EXISTING conditions data

Jump to solution
08-02-2023 01:51 PM
ScottEdmondson
New Contributor III

The Documentation says to add the zoning layer to the Layer step.  I believe that is inaccurate, as one would be adding whichever layer has the data one wants to add, correct?  

See here:  Configure the dashboard—ArcGIS Urban | Documentation, Importing existing metric values section, Step 3a:  "In the Layer step, search for the ArcGIS Online layer that contains the zoning boundaries. Click the layer and click Next to continue."

The general discussion of metrics, how to configure, add existing data, etc., across Urban's 3 UIs: (1) overview, (2) plans, and (3) projects. 

In particular, the discussion of existing conditions data seems to be limited to ONLY pop, household, and jobs, yet one would think that one would be able to -- and need to and want to -- import existing conditions data for every metric one was going to use. Isn't that true? If so, a clear explanation would be helpful. 

I am trying to complete the initial deployment of Urban, so i want to set up Metrics required and useful model-wide that would be pulled into whichever study areas are established for subsequent creation of plans and projects. If you can point me to instructional resources for that task, that would be helpful. I've already reviewed the standard resources:  Configure the dashboard—ArcGIS Urban | Documentation, and User interface items—ArcGIS Urban | Documentation.

Thank you. 

Link to metrics for importing existing conditions data:  https://doc.arcgis.com/en/urban/data/data-manager-metrics.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_8098E813790F4E58B3B61840... 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi @ScottEdmondson ,

Thanks for reaching out. 

Regarding the documentation section, as highlighted in your attached screenshot:

Our documentation is indeed wrong here. Instead of "search for the ArcGIS Online layer that contains the zoning boundaries" it should say "search for the ArcGIS Online layer that contains the existing metric values".

We will fix this in the next documentation update cycle.

Regarding the second part of your question:

This documentation topic covers configuring metrics including importing existing metric values on the Urban Model level. Existing metric values can be imported for any metric.

Whenever you create a plan, the metrics and existing metric values available on the Urban Model at creation time, are copied to that plan. For projects, only the metrics are copied. 

The metrics (plans & projects) and the existing metric values (plans) can also be configured and edited on each plan and project individually. Any edits on metrics and existing metric values on the plan and project level don't impact the metrics and existing metric values configuration on the Urban Model level. There are also dedicated documentation pages for working with metrics on the plan and project level:

@ScottEdmondson wrote:

In particular, the discussion of existing conditions data seems to be limited to ONLY pop, household, and jobs, yet one would think that one would be able to -- and need to and want to -- import existing conditions data for every metric one was going to use. 

Which particular parts of the documentation made you think that existing metric values can only be configured for pop, households, and jobs? A pointer would be much appreciated.

Don't hesitate to reach out in case of further questions. 

-Dominik

P.S.: We had a webinar around metrics earlier this year. The recording is available here. Maybe you find it useful. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi @ScottEdmondson ,

Thanks for reaching out. 

Regarding the documentation section, as highlighted in your attached screenshot:

Our documentation is indeed wrong here. Instead of "search for the ArcGIS Online layer that contains the zoning boundaries" it should say "search for the ArcGIS Online layer that contains the existing metric values".

We will fix this in the next documentation update cycle.

Regarding the second part of your question:

This documentation topic covers configuring metrics including importing existing metric values on the Urban Model level. Existing metric values can be imported for any metric.

Whenever you create a plan, the metrics and existing metric values available on the Urban Model at creation time, are copied to that plan. For projects, only the metrics are copied. 

The metrics (plans & projects) and the existing metric values (plans) can also be configured and edited on each plan and project individually. Any edits on metrics and existing metric values on the plan and project level don't impact the metrics and existing metric values configuration on the Urban Model level. There are also dedicated documentation pages for working with metrics on the plan and project level:

@ScottEdmondson wrote:

In particular, the discussion of existing conditions data seems to be limited to ONLY pop, household, and jobs, yet one would think that one would be able to -- and need to and want to -- import existing conditions data for every metric one was going to use. 

Which particular parts of the documentation made you think that existing metric values can only be configured for pop, households, and jobs? A pointer would be much appreciated.

Don't hesitate to reach out in case of further questions. 

-Dominik

P.S.: We had a webinar around metrics earlier this year. The recording is available here. Maybe you find it useful. 

0 Kudos
ScottEdmondson
New Contributor III

Hi Dominik,

NOW i see what you meant about the duplicate post. Yes, you are correct. Somehow an earlier draft got posted. I'm a bit new to this community space, so my apologies in that mistake and for the confusion.

GREAT / helpful response. I'll check out the webinar recording too. 

On only being able to use existing conditions for pop, emp, jobs, that came from a conversation with Aziz Bakkoury, who has been providing some valuable guidance. I think i misunderstood him, based on your reply and what i've learned about metrics to date.  

If I have more questions, i'll reach out.  

THNX again. 

Scott

0 Kudos