Is it Possible to Keep Existing Buildings Locked Off When Viewing a Project Scenario?

Jump to solution
06-18-2021 08:14 AM
AugustNastasi
New Contributor III

Hello! I have a question about locking certain properties when switching between Scenarios within a Project. 

So after uploading a .dem model to CityEngine and uploading it to ArcGIS Online as a .slpk, I have now inserted this model as the Scenario Design Visualization for a project.  While this worked smoothly, one issue I have had is that this new Scenario Design Visualization now overlaps with my Existing Buildings Layer.  To work around this, I made a copy of my Existing Buildings Layer, and assigned it to the Scenario Design Context, except in this model I have deleted the original model for the building that is being replaced. 

Is there possibly a way that I can lock the properties on Scenario 1 so that every time I open this project I do not have to switch off "Existing Buildings" in order to not have the two models overlap?

Thank You

(Below is an image of how I would like this Scenario to be permanently locked).  

Screenshot.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi @AugustNastasi ,

Thanks for your follow-up question. 

It is intentional that scenario design visualizations are not loaded in the overview when the project is NOT selected. There are two main reasons for this behavior:

1) To keep the overview visually as simple as possible, there shouldn't be too much of a mix between existing buildings (usually LOD1 or LOD2) and building models attached to a project which usually have a higher level of detail.

2) In the case of many projects with a design visualization, loading all design visualizations in the overview would significantly deteriorate the performance. 

The intended workflow would be the following:

• For scenario 1, draw an LOD1 building in the project editor that has about the same volume as your design visualization building --> LOD1 building and design visualization will overlap in the editor.
  • Switch back to the overview. As long as the project is selected, the design visualization will be shown in the overview.
    DominikAllemann_0-1624367843534.png
  • When you de-select the project/close the detail card, the LOD1 building that you drew in the editor, will be displayed in the overview:
    DominikAllemann_1-1624367914736.png

P.S. 1: If you would create a project that only has an LOD1 building drawn in Urban (and no design visualization), this building would also be shown while the project is selected/the project detail card is displayed - and not only when the project detail card is NOT selected. 

P.S. 2: For projects, Urban always displays the LOD1 buildings and demolish areas (as drawn in the project editor) of the 1st scenario in the overview. 

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Thanks,

Dominik

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi @AugustNastasi ,

Thank you very much for your question and your interest in ArcGIS Urban. 

The intended workflow for what you are trying to achieve is the following:

• When in the project editor, make sure that you are in the right scenario.
  • From the toolbar at the bottom of the screen, click "> Demolish" (the bulldozer icon in the left corner).
  • Now you can either draw a custom polygon or define the entire study area of the project as the demolition area.
  • Any existing building that overlaps the demolition area will now be masked out and you no longer need to work with two existing building layers.

Thanks,

Dominik

AugustNastasi
New Contributor III

@DominikAllemann , thank you for your response. 

While using the Demolish tool has worked effectively to mask out the existing building in Scenario 1, is it possible for the original building to remain apart of the Existing Building Layer when not specifically viewing this Project's "Existing" scenario?  

Scenario 1 (New model inserted, no longer overlaps with existing building).

ScreenshotScenario1.PNG

Existing: (Existing building layer is present). 

ScreenshotExisting.PNG

Project is not selected: (Project site is blank - I would prefer if the "existing" building layer would be able to be present in this situation. 

Screenshot1.PNG

0 Kudos
DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi @AugustNastasi ,

Thanks for your follow-up question. 

It is intentional that scenario design visualizations are not loaded in the overview when the project is NOT selected. There are two main reasons for this behavior:

1) To keep the overview visually as simple as possible, there shouldn't be too much of a mix between existing buildings (usually LOD1 or LOD2) and building models attached to a project which usually have a higher level of detail.

2) In the case of many projects with a design visualization, loading all design visualizations in the overview would significantly deteriorate the performance. 

The intended workflow would be the following:

• For scenario 1, draw an LOD1 building in the project editor that has about the same volume as your design visualization building --> LOD1 building and design visualization will overlap in the editor.
  • Switch back to the overview. As long as the project is selected, the design visualization will be shown in the overview.
    DominikAllemann_0-1624367843534.png
  • When you de-select the project/close the detail card, the LOD1 building that you drew in the editor, will be displayed in the overview:
    DominikAllemann_1-1624367914736.png

P.S. 1: If you would create a project that only has an LOD1 building drawn in Urban (and no design visualization), this building would also be shown while the project is selected/the project detail card is displayed - and not only when the project detail card is NOT selected. 

P.S. 2: For projects, Urban always displays the LOD1 buildings and demolish areas (as drawn in the project editor) of the 1st scenario in the overview. 

Thanks,

Dominik