Cloning projects from UrbanDesignDatabase to the model UrbanDatabase

02-06-2023 01:26 PM
MaximeDemers
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I am looking for a way to clone projects from UrbanDesignDatabases to the model UrbanDatabase when the project is completed and will not be edited anymore.

I tryed the Add from feature layer from the model configuration menu, selecting a UrbanDesignDatabases and the UrbanEvents layer.

MaximeDemers_0-1675717208163.png

MaximeDemers_1-1675717554040.png

Howerver, the scenarios and the project design context were not cloned.

Adding future buildings from UrbanDesignDatabase does not works neither.

The reason for doing this is that we have over 130 projects in our Urban model all within UrbanDesignDatabases. As we add more and more projects, we experience a longer loading time when we are moving from a project to another. We would like to test if the loading time can be improved if we migrate our closed projects in the model UrbanDatabase.

Thank you for your advices with this!

Greeting,

Maxime

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MaxNilsson
New Contributor III

Hi Maxime,

My immediate thought was to create another Urban model that acts as your archive model that you can duplicate your closed projects to and then remove them from your active model. I understand you have a lot of projects and an automated workflow for all selected projects would be the best solution. Would that work for your purposes?

MaxNilsson_0-1675755887840.pngMaxNilsson_1-1675755900512.png

0 Kudos
MaximeDemers

Good day @MaxNilsson ,

Splitting our city territory in smaller zones with a different urban model for each is an option that we are considering. We would prefer exploring other solutions before going that way.

Thank you for your suggestion,

Maxime

0 Kudos
Till_Schmid
Esri Contributor

Hi @MaximeDemers 

It is currently not possible to move design projects to the urban database. We are currently investigating if we can support such a functionality in the near future.

You mentioned that you are experiencing long loading times when moving from one project to another. Can you explain more what you are seeing? Is it for example the time needed to load the project list in the overview?

Thank you in advance for the additional information.

Best,

Till

0 Kudos
MaximeDemers

Good day @Till_Schmid ,

Yes, the loading time issue that our urban users reported is for displaying the projects list in the overview. When we stay in the urban overview, we can open/close the list without loading time (except the initial loading time), but if we open a project, when we go back to the overview, displaying the projects list again can take a lot of time.

In my experience, the loading time can vary during the day from 20-30s to more than a minute. Our organization is mainly using urban during meeting between, promoters, urbanists and city council, so this waiting time is noticed.

Thank you very much for your support. I would be glad to provide further details if needed.

Maxime

0 Kudos
Till_Schmid
Esri Contributor

Hi @MaximeDemers 

Thank you for the additional information. It is correct that the number of plans & projects in the urban model has an impact on the time needed to load the overview. We are aware of this and are working on improvements.

Already with the upcoming release (scheduled for end of February 2023) loading plans & projects in the overview will be faster. In addition, we are currently investigating strategies to improve this further, especially when just switching between plans or projects. Also, as I mentioned in my first comment, we are working on general improvements how projects are stored/used which should make the urban model faster as well.

Until those improvements are in place, you could try the approach outlined by @MaxNilsson. As an additional approach (e.g. for presentations) you could try having the overview already pre-loaded in another browser tab. We are aware that this is not optimal - as I said, we are working on it.

I hope this information helps you, please get back to me in case you have questions.

Till