The feature service for this survey does not exist or is not accessible.

Jump to solution
01-12-2021 02:19 PM
JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

permission.png

I can not find a help document for this error. This is from a survey on the web and it does not have an error if I open it while signed in to AGOL. But, when anyone else opens it they can not submit a survey. It is a public survey.

The form is shared publicly. When I submit a Complaints Form survey it is added to the Complaints Form feature layer. So, the feature service exists, but it's not shared publicly. How is it not accessible, as the error suggests?

box.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jared,

When we create a survey using the Survey123 web form designer it creates a folder and content in ArcGIS Online:

• The survey form item (used to load the questions)
  • A Hosted Feature Layer (used to store the submitted responses; will remain private)
  • Stakeholder and Fieldworker Hosted Feature Layer Views (provide limited access to the data for submitting or viewing survey data).

Chris_Counsell_0-1610493945249.png

Survey123 leverages this content. It's important that we don't modify it - such as deleting, renaming, or as Keiren suggested changing the editing settings - as this could break the ability of the Survey123 platform to function. We can do some modifications with care. e.g. create new Hosted Feature Layer Views.

To share access to users we should do so through the Survey123 website:

Chris_Counsell_1-1610494062244.png

Which then goes and updates the item sharing in ArcGIS Online:

Chris_Counsell_2-1610494113419.png

You'll see the form and fieldworker views are shared publicly, giving access to the questions and ability to submit data.

Your content doesn't appear to match what I would expect to be created from the Survey123 web designer. Have we deleted or renamed content in this folder? Have we been sharing from ArcGIS Online? If so I'd recommend sharing access through the collaborate tab on the Survey123 website.

Here's a webinar I did talking more around this subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dttJ8F-d5pA&feature=youtu.be

*Things may be a little different if we used Survey123 Connect, but general recommendations remain true.

Cheers, Chris

View solution in original post

Find out how to protect private information and ensure control over who can submit and view survey data when working with public surveys by leveraging storage, sharing and security features of Survey123.
26 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have you looked at your permissions or the permission settings for the hosted layer? 

Do you have a picture of the Portal items? 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jared,

When we create a survey using the Survey123 web form designer it creates a folder and content in ArcGIS Online:

• The survey form item (used to load the questions)
  • A Hosted Feature Layer (used to store the submitted responses; will remain private)
  • Stakeholder and Fieldworker Hosted Feature Layer Views (provide limited access to the data for submitting or viewing survey data).

Chris_Counsell_0-1610493945249.png

Survey123 leverages this content. It's important that we don't modify it - such as deleting, renaming, or as Keiren suggested changing the editing settings - as this could break the ability of the Survey123 platform to function. We can do some modifications with care. e.g. create new Hosted Feature Layer Views.

To share access to users we should do so through the Survey123 website:

Chris_Counsell_1-1610494062244.png

Which then goes and updates the item sharing in ArcGIS Online:

Chris_Counsell_2-1610494113419.png

You'll see the form and fieldworker views are shared publicly, giving access to the questions and ability to submit data.

Your content doesn't appear to match what I would expect to be created from the Survey123 web designer. Have we deleted or renamed content in this folder? Have we been sharing from ArcGIS Online? If so I'd recommend sharing access through the collaborate tab on the Survey123 website.

Here's a webinar I did talking more around this subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dttJ8F-d5pA&feature=youtu.be

*Things may be a little different if we used Survey123 Connect, but general recommendations remain true.

Cheers, Chris

Find out how to protect private information and ensure control over who can submit and view survey data when working with public surveys by leveraging storage, sharing and security features of Survey123.
JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

Sorry, forgot to mention I created the survey with Survey 123 Connect. And the form is meant for web format only.

I did happen to forget to share publicly on the Collaborate page of the survey. But, after setting that to public I still get the error. I don't want this hosted feature layer to be public, and I have view for it. I swear I've had no problems doing this workflow before.

0 Kudos
JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

No clue what happened there. I accessed the Survey123 website through the link in the Survey123 Connect app and under Collaborate it was set to organization still. So, I set it to public and now the error is gone. Funny, I already had it set to public, as I said. I access the Survey123 website from a bookmark on my toolbar in FireFox, so maybe it was a browser/cookies issue.
managage.png

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Jared. I believe Survey123 Connect will move towards creating similar items, but the nature of the issue remains - users need access to the feature service to edit features, and access to this service is best managed through the Survey123 website. 
I haven't seen caching issues as such before. Please let us know if it continues to occur for other surveys.

JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

Chris,

I didn't think I'd be reporting back so soon. But, when I opened a survey today I got the error again. Out of the blue, the share box on the Collaborate page of the Survey 123 website was magically unchecked. So, I clicked the box to share publicly again and it's fine. Is this a bug?

PhilipFranses
New Contributor

I am also getting this error,

• The feature service for this survey does not exist or is not accessible.

making the survey  inaccessible to users. The survey was accessible when I created it. I do not understand the solutions presented here. No changes have been made to underlying file permissions, as was suggested in the file below. This means that no one who has been sent the link can access the survey. 

0 Kudos
JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

Philip,

Try going to the Survey123 webpage under Collaborate and check the box for Who can submit to this survey? Sometimes that box gets reset when you make changes to survey.

0 Kudos
MichaelHalley
New Contributor III

Hey guys

Sorry to reopen this but I am getting the same error regardless of what kind of survey I create. I have tried different questions and still i get the "Unable to share item" fail notice when I try and share publicly with everyone (i.e. through Survey123).

Any updated info in this regard would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos